We asked our Cardiff Tab team: Who are the women who inspire you?

It’s safe to say that we were well and truly spoilt for choice

International Women’s Day is celebrated on the 8th March and is used to empower and celebrate women across the globe. With countless inspiring women out there, we asked our writers and editors to share some of their favourite female role models and idols.

Rebecca Lucy Taylor

Rebecca Lucy Taylor, also known as Self Esteem, is an up-and-coming icon for sure. At the age of only 36, Rebecca uses her insane vocals to tackle and address the misogyny and objectification faced by women today. Writer, Sophia, explains what Self Esteem means to her: “She makes music about like prioritising pleasure and looking out for number one, and it’s very raw and honest about her experiences as a woman in the music industry”. She also organised for all of the food at the Mercury Prize to be sent to a homeless kitchen after the event was cancelled in order to avoid waste. Queen behaviour.

Via YouTube

Jade Thirlwall

Keeping with the musician theme, Jade Thirlwall is another iconic woman that isn’t afraid to say what she thinks and refuses to let people push her around. As a former member of the award-winning girl band Little Mix, Jade wrote countless songs about gender equality, self love and female empowerment. She’s one of the UK’s best-known LGBTQ+ allies and even climbed Mount Kilimanjaro for Comic Relief, she really is just a legend.

Via YouTube

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez has been in the public eye since she was only ten years old and today is an established singer, actor, producer, and beauty mogul (the list really does go on). As the most followed woman on Instagram rn, Selena has used her very prominent social media presence to discuss her own struggles with both mental and physical health and always encourages her fans to be kind to others. Her incredible documentary is a must-watch and she also gave the world the legendary character that is Alex Russo, so obviously she has to be included on our list.

Via YouTube

Deepika Padukone

Deepika Paduknow is a 37-year-old Indian actress, described by Cardiff Tab contributor, Drishtee, as “super elegant, inspirational, and super humble too.” She is one of the highest paid Bollywood actresses and has really made her mark in the film industry, despite her career path not always being the most simple and straightforward. There is no denying Deepika has made great impact in the film industry and is truly an inspiration, proving to women that their career paths can change whenever they desire, and life can take whatever path they choose.

Via YouTube

Eve Cornwell

Writer, Kath, praises Eve for being “very open about her sexuality” and goes on to explain that: “it’s so refreshing…to change your career even after a dedicated degree choice”. So for anyone else currently questioning their life choices rn, maybe give Eve’s YouTube channel a quick visit.

Via YouTube

Emma Watson

Editor, Sofia, called Emma “a feminist legend, advocate for women’s rights and an absolute badass in the film industry”. She was appointed a UN Women’s Goodwill Ambassador in 2014 and has continued to use her platform to advocate for gender equality and female empowerment. Plus, she gave us the Hermione Granger we know and love, who in her words, taught young girls around the world that they can be a “warrior” as well as a “delicate princess”.

Via YouTube

Phoebe Bridgers

Writer, Alice, explains that Phoebe does not only inspire them because of her epic songs, but because of her bravery for “speaking out about abortions and being very very transparent about her own abortion and also grief”. These are somewhat taboo topics that many in the public eye shy away from talking about, but we absolutely love that she is able to use her voice to promote awareness and even provide comfort to so many women around the world who have gone through similar experiences.

Via YouTube

Lucy Edwards

Writer, Tommy, describes Lucy as “the most beautiful, amazing woman who has really touched me and made me realise how important things to visually impaired people are that may seem very small and trivial to us, and her videos spread so much positivity and share the message that you can still live life 100% to the full even with sight loss”. We totally agree, go Lucy.

Via YouTube

We have discussed only a small handful of the women who we are inspired by every day and there are plenty more where those came from. Happy International Women’s Day to everyone who celebrates.

Feature Image Credit: YouTube

Recommended by this writer: