Hockey Club Unveil Corking New Sponsor

San Leo, the Italian wine company, has been announced as the Oxford Brookes Hockey Club Sponsor.

hockey sport wine

A delivery of over one-hundred bottles of Prosecco arrived in East Oxford last week and was greeted with jubilation by five unsuspecting Brookes Students.

Tom Elwes, James Street resident, said: “I thought we’d won a prize or something, probably for having the cleanest house.”

What he didn’t know is that the order was intended for their housemate, Brookes Hockey President David Trim.

David soon snatched the remaining unopened bottles up and distributed them around the hockey club, much to the dismay of his closest friends.

The bottles were intended for Brookes Hockey’s formal functions including their Christmas Meal and May Day Celebration. However, rumour has it that most of the bottles were consumed on the day of delivery and a new order has been placed.

It is hard to understand what a Prosecco company could possibly get out of sponsoring a student sports team but David Trim took time out of his Parisian Sommelier trip to tell The Tab his idea:

“As a keen wine connoisseur I was eager to make sure that my teams were not drinking poor quality wines at our most important occasions. I understand that not all of our club can afford to be paying out for the better bottles on the market so I was delighted when we reached an agreement with San Leo.”

So hockey members can enjoy a better class of sparkling wine at their upcoming events, but what’s next? Brookes Tennis drinking fine Scotch? A Rugby Team cigar sponsor? Or the Netball Team getting money from a monocle manufacturer? This is Brookes, we would not be surprised.