Need to ignore those deadlines? Here are the best Bristol spots for a post-uni pint

3pm on a Friday is an acceptable time for a drink right?

A long day of procrastinating in Senate and aimlessly scrolling through Vinted in lectures only calls for one thing – a celebratory pint. Whether you’re looking for a quick drink before dinner or simply fancy a piss-up on a random Tuesday afternoon, there are plenty of great pubs in and around the uni campus. Here is an extensive list of the best student-friendly spots for drinks to ignore your deadlines.

1. Channing’s 

With its huge outdoor seating area, Channing’s is the perfect stop on the way home from a busy day in the Students’ Union. Don’t be fooled by the fancy exterior and upmarket location, with its whopping 20 per cent student discount, it’s very student-friendly. They also serve a reasonably priced Aperol Spritz that will transport the Bristol girls back to their Euro summer that they refuse to stop talking about. It’s the closest thing Bristol has to the Amalfi Coast.

2. Barrel House

Neighbouring the Richmond building, Barrel House is a great after-uni location. The £5 cocktails at happy hour are a valid reason to get drunk after uni or alternatively, you might want to try their delicious Detroit-style pizza whilst seated on their scenic roof terrace. The pool table is a great way to unwind after a long day, rivaling the one in the Senate lounge.

If you are looking to stay here into the evening, there are always things going on. The quiz every Tuesday will appeal to anyone keen on proving their general knowledge. As well as this, there are live comedy and music performances frequently.

3. The Beckford

This is undoubtedly the most convenient spot for an after (or during) uni drink; it’s literally in Senate House. These prices are by far the most student-friendly as they are supported by the SU. They offer plenty of deals including half-price Thatchers Gold on a Wednesday if that midweek slump is hitting you. Anyone stalking your Snap Maps will be convinced you’re studying hard in Senate, so it practically counts as revision.

4. W. G. Grace

Are really you a true Bristol student if you haven’t been here during the day? The W. G. Grace is a staple location for students looking to reward themselves after a hard day’s work. Coming here during daylight hours might be the only chance you will actually have of getting a seat, let alone a table, given its popularity in the evening.

A morning trip to the W. G. after your 9am is also a pretty good treat – Spoons brekkie and unlimited hot choc never fails to break up the day.

5. The White Bear

If you’re a second year, you likely spend most of your evenings here – what’s the harm in coming during the day too?

This pub, located on St Michael’s Hill, is a two minute walk from campus with amazing deals on drinks. The atmosphere here is warm and relaxing for the colder autumn days, with comfy sofas and interesting interior decor. It’s only fair to treat yourself to one of their famous frozen cocktails after spending more than an hour in the ASS.

6. Hope and Anchor

The Hope and Anchor pub is a mandatory stop for Manor and Goldney Hall students looking to psych themselves up before they embark on the vertical ascent up Constitution Hill. There is a friendly atmosphere here and a good range of board games if you’re looking for something different to do.

This pub is also near Brandon Hill if you fancy a post-pint stroll up to Cabot Tower to complete your wholesome day of doing anything but your work. Hills, a pint and a visit to Cassie’s bench has to be the ultimate Bristol experience.

7. Den and Terrace

Located in Clifton, Den and Terrace is worth a visit if you’re in the area. On a Friday they offer two cocktails for £12 all day. With lots of seating both inside and outside, this is the perfect excuse to soak up the crisp autumn sun with a cocktail (or two) in hand. If you’re hungry they serve pizza and a pint for £9 until 8pm all week.

8. Steam

Famous for its “Steam Brew” cider and beer, this pub is a prime location for an afternoon drink. With a super central location, you can pop in for a pint to take the edge off facing the after-uni rush in Big Sains next door. Between 12-7pm they serve drinks from as little as £3, which is pretty reasonable given the fact this is cheaper than a coffee in most Bristol cafes.