Bristol Uni looking for students to run London marathon in support of Healthy Minds Programme

Applications are now open to join Team UoB for the TCS London marathon in April 2024

The University of Bristol are looking for six students, alumni and staff to take on the challenge of running the London marathon next April.

If chosen, each must aim to raise £2,000 in support of the University of Bristol’s Healthy Minds Programme.

The university’s division of Sport, Exercise and Health (SEH) launched Healthy Minds in 2016. The scheme aims to provide students with a tailored mentor-guided activity programme, as well as access to university sporting opportunities and facilities, following the recognition of the link between positive mental wellbeing and exercise by the NHS.

Since its launch, Healthy Minds has supported hundreds of students who struggle with mental health conditions. The programme also runs sessions where students are able to talk to other participants to combat the stigma surrounding mental ill health.

Upon completion of the healthy minds scheme, it has been reported that 90 per cent of participants scored within, or higher than the national average mental wellbeing score.

Funded by the University of Bristol’s donor community, student access to the scheme is entirely free.

Those who are chosen to run the marathon will be provided with training resources by SEH, as well as guidance and tips to help achieve the fundraising target.

Applicants must specify why they would like to run for mental health support at the university, as well as how they plan to raise sufficient funds.

The deadline for applications is Monday 30th October at 9am.

You can apply here.