Brianna Ghey’s Birmingham vigil ‘interrupted by anti-LGBTQ abuse’

A group of men interrupted the vigil by shouting ‘f*ck LGBT’ amongst other things

The Birmingham vigil in memory of Brianna Ghey was reportedly interrupted by a group of men shouting anti-LGBTQ abuse.

Last week there were vigils held in Brianna Ghey’s memory all over the country. Birmingham’s vigil was last Friday, on February 17th, outside the Hippodrome theatre.

The vigil had the purpose of honouring Brianna and allowing mourners to light a candle and share a moment in silence in honour of Brianna. The vigil also had the purpose of spreading a message that the trans youth community needs more protection.

However, the Birmingham vigil was interrupted by anti-LGBTQ abuse, Birmingham Live reports. Whilst mourners were gathered around the Hippodrome theatre, a group of men passed by and began to shout anti-LGBTQ abuse at the crowd.

A video has surfaced where an attendee of the vigil, who is also a trans activist, spoke about how the media and MPs amplify transphobia in the UK and whilst this video was happening a group of men walked past. The men shouted phrases such as “f*ck you all”, “f*ck LGBT” and “get f*cked”.

The men were escorted away from the area of the vigil by security.

On Saturday 11th February, Brianna’s body was found with stab wounds in Linear Park in Cheshire. She was pronounced dead at the scene. Two 15-year-olds, a boy and a girl, have been charged with murder and are set to stand trial in July.

In a statement released via the police, Brianna’s family said: “Brianna was a much loved daughter, granddaughter, and baby sister. She was a larger than life character who would leave a lasting impression on all that met her. Brianna was beautiful, witty and hilarious. Brianna was strong, fearless and one of a kind.

“The loss of her young life has left a massive hole in our family, and we know that the teachers and her friends who were involved in her life will feel the same.

“We would like to thank everyone for their kind words and support during this extremely difficult time. We would like to thank the police for their support, and witnesses for helping with the investigation. The continuation of respect for privacy is greatly appreciated.”

You can donate to the GoFundMe to support Brianna’s family here. 

If you or someone you know has been affected by this story, please speak to someone or contact Samaritans on 116 123 at any time or MindOut. You can also contact Anxiety UK on 03444 775 774, Calm (Campaign against living miserably) on 0800 58 58 58. 

Related stories recommended by this writer

•Everything you need to know about the Birmingham vigil for Brianna Ghey

•There’s a new community store to help Birmingham students and staff in the cost of living crisis

•Here’s what your lecturers want you to know about the Birmingham UCU strikes