degree grad job

If you wanted a grad job in 2024, you should have studied one of these degree subjects

Guess you should never have given up your childhood dreams of being a vet

You know when you were little and you always dreamed of being a vet? Then you ended up hating science in school so gave up those big dreams and ended up studying something like history or PPE instead? Well, turns out you shouldn’t have given up on those dreams because veterinary science students are the most likely to bag themselves a grad job after uni.

EssayPro has analysed data from the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) to find out which degrees have the highest employability percentage.  It surveyed grads 15th months after leaving uni and found that the UK national average for grads in full-time employment is 57 per cent.

Business students might be nabbing all those Forbes 30 Under 30 prizes but it’s actually veterinary science students who are most likely to secure a grad job. 79 per cent of all students training to be vets have a full time job 15 months after graduating and only one per cent of students are unemployed.

Veterinary science students are closely followed by, of course, medicine students. They might have to study for five years but 71 per cent of all med students are in a full time job after leaving uni and there is an unemployment rate of 1 per cent among medicine grads.

But at the other end of the spectrum, the degree subjects where you’re most likely to wound up unemployed after graduating are historical, philosophical and religious studies and design, creative and performing arts. Only 43 per cent of all history, philosophy and theology grads have a full time job 15 months after graduating uni.

So, these are the degree subjects you should’ve studied in order to nab yourself a grad job:

10. Agriculture, food and related studies – 56 per cent of students in a full time job

9. Geography, earth and environmental studies – 57 per cent of students in a full time job

8. Business and management – 60 per cent of students in a full time job

7. Computing – 61 per cent of students in a full time job

6. Engineering and technology – 63 per cent of students in a full time job

5. Subjects allied to medicine – 66 per cent of students in a full time job

4. Architecture, building and planning – 67 per cent of students in a full time job

3. Education and teaching – 69 per cent of students in a full time job

2. Medicine and dentistry – 71 per cent of students in a full time job

1. Veterinary sciences – 79 per cent of students in a full time job