The Gentlemen watches

There are £6 million worth of watches featured in The Gentlemen, says costume designer

One of Eddie’s costs £2 million alone!

Everyone is obsessing over Guy Ritchie’s The Gentlemen on Netflix right now. And given the cast (hello Theo James) and gorgeous filming locations, it’s not hard to see why.

The show follows Eddie, the son of an English aristocrat who gets sucked into the world of crime after he inherits a cannabis empire. All the characters are like RICH rich. But it turns out, it’s not just the characters who spend a lot of money in the show. The Gentlemen’s costume designer has just revealed that the show featured over £6 MILLION worth of watches. Six million! Just on the watches!

Speaking about their importance in the show, LouLou Bontemps, Guy Ritchie’s go-to costume designer told GQ: “What’s interesting about watches is you have wealthy people versus actual collectors, who aren’t necessarily wealthy but through time have collected what are now huge investment pieces, These watches essentially get passed down through the family, so we played with that idea in The Gentlemen.”

The watches were all loaned out though, they’re not THAT rich.“Doing the basic maths, we have at least six million pounds worth of watches in the show, which were all loaned out,” says LouLou. “Just to know that and to have that attention to detail is really good fun.”

Via Netflix

So most of the characters are noticeably wearing mega-expensive watches in the show, most are real, but there are a few fakes too. Throughout The Gentlemen, LouLou says she used watches to provide important clues about each character, from how trustworthy they are to their class and background

So when we first meet Eddie, he’s only wearing a watch that costs £2,895 (I say only because just you wait) but when he’s inherited the money he switches to a Patek Phillippe Nautilus which sells for as much as nearly two million. “The Patek is the kind of watch that is purchased once and gets passed down through the family, or is locked in a safe because they do tend to increase in value,” the costume designer said.

Other characters like Henry Collins, the dodgy boxing promoter, wear a “slightly trashy, very showy” watch – a Rolex Daytona which sets you back around £25 grand. But the most expensive of all the watches are Uncle Stan’s character’s. LouLou said: “Uncle Stan has a whole room dedicated to a multitude of watches, whereas Eddie inherited his so we were playing with this old money versus new money conversation.” One of the watches he wears sold for around £9 million in real life.

Feeling a little bit poor right now!

The Gentleman is available to watch on Netflix now. For more like this The Gentleman article and all the latest Netflix drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.