Margot Robbie isn't bothered about her Best Actress Oscar snub for Barbie

Margot Robbie has finally spoken about *that* Best Actress Oscar snub for Barbie

This Barbie isn’t really that bothered x

Margot Robbie is not bothered by what some have considered an Oscar snub for her role in Barbie.

The film snagged eight Academy Award nominations last month, including Best Picture, Best Costume and Best Original Song for I’m Just Ken. However, the omission of Margot and Greta from the categories of Best Actress and Best Director was met with cries of misogyny and sexism, and accusations the Academy was behaving in the same way the film was critiquing.

Their so-called snub was met with condemnation by Margot’s co-stars Ryan Gosling and America Ferrera, who are up for Best Actor and Best Supporting Actress for their respective turns in Barbie. At one point, it got so wild that even Ryan’s wife, actress Eva Mendes, piped up to stick up for her husband’s honour. 

Barbie is the fourth most nominated movie going into the ceremony, which will be held at Los Angeles’ Dolby Theatre on 10 March with host Jimmy Kimmel. It trails behind Oppenheimer, Poor Things and Killers of the Flower Moon, who have 13, 11, and 10 nominations.

While speaking at a SAG-AFTRA panel event with some of the Barbie cast, Margot said: “There’s no way to feel sad when you know you’re this blessed,” before adding that their goal was to “affect culture” and the “biggest reward” was raking in more than $1 billion at the global box office and sparking the Barbiecore and Barbenheimer trends.

“Everyone getting the nods that they’ve had is just incredible, and the best picture nod,” she said. “We set out to do something that would shift culture, affect culture, just make some sort of impact. And it’s already done that and some, way more than we ever dreamed it would. And that is truly the biggest reward that could come out of all of this.”

Margot did concede that she wished Barbie’s director Greta Gerwig was acknowledged in her relevant category, telling the crowd: “What she did is a once-in-a-career, once-in-a-lifetime thing. What she pulled off, it really is. But it’s been an incredible year for all the films.”

Margot and Greta did not leave completely empty-handed when the Oscar nominations were dropped, as they were included in its nod for Best Production Design. Greta also snagged a Best Adapted Screenplay nomination for the script she co-wrote with her now-husband, Noah Baumbach.