Barbie Oscar noms Ryan Gosling and America Ferrera have spoken out about Margot Robbie and Greta Gerwig getting snubbed at the 2024 Oscars

Ryan Gosling and America Ferrera slam Greta Gerwig and Margot Robbie’s Barbie Oscar snub

They have things to say!

Margot Robbie and Greta Gerwig being snubbed for an Oscar nod for their individual contribution to the Barbie movie isn’t sitting right with their Academy Award-nominated cast members.

Barbie received a total of eight nominations in the official list from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Shockingly to some, Margot and Greta were not named alongside the other leading actresses or directors. At the same time, their colleagues Ryan Gosling and America Ferrera were acknowledged in their relevant Oscar categories. Margot was beaten out by Lily Gladstone, Emma Stone, Anette Bening, and Carey Mulligan. Greta didn’t make it into the Best Director category either, but Christopher Nolan, Justine Triet, Martin Scorsese, Yorgos Lanthimos, and Jonathan Glazer did. Some people noted it was frustrating to see the reality the film was trying to present come to life; a man being celebrated while the women’s achievements are discounted by the powers that be.

“It’s the most perfect irony that Ryan got a nomination for Barbie and Margot didn’t. And it got a Best Picture nom but no Best Director for Greta,” one person wrote on X.

Ryan was recognised as a potential Best Actor for his turn as Barbie’s long-time boyfriend. He admitted that he was “honoured” to be named alongside huge talents like Cillian Murphy, Bradley Cooper, Colman Domingo, Paul Giamatti, and Jeffery Wright.

“I am extremely honoured to be nominated by my colleagues alongside such remarkable artists in a year of so many great films,” he said in a statement.

Ryan continued that Margot and Greta – who were acknowledged by the Oscars in the producing category – were “the two people most responsible for the history-making, globally-celebrated film”.

“No recognition would be possible for anyone on the film without their talent, grit and genius. To say that I’m disappointed that they are not nominated in their respective categories would be an understatement,” Ryan said. “Against all odds, with nothing but a couple of soulless, scantily clad, and thankfully crotchless dolls, they made us laugh, they broke our hearts, they pushed the culture, and they made history. Their work should be recognised along with the other very deserving nominees.”

Ryan added that he was “so happy” for his co-star and the first-time nominee, America, who also had something to say about the lack of Margot and Greta’s individual nods.

After being included in the category with Danielle Brooks, Emily Blunt, Jodie Foster and Da’Vine Joy Randolph, America said that she was “incredibly disappointed” by the duo’s omission by the Academy, echoing Ryan.

Barbie faces stiff competition at the awards ceremony – which will take place on March 10th at Los Angeles’ Dolby Theater with host Jimmy Kimmel – from titles such as Oppenheimer, Poor Things and Killers of the Flower Moon. Respectively, the trio have 13, 11, and 10 Oscar nominations and have already been sweeping the floor at The Golden Globes, the SAG Awards, and many others.