All three Doctor Who 60th anniversary specials, ranked from slightly lame to life-changing

The Spice Girls scene altered my brain chemistry forever

My dad got me into Doctor Who straight away. When 2005 loomed and Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper were all over billboards, he suitably built the hype of how much I was going to love this show. He was right. For the entire Russell T Davies tenure, I was living and breathing this show. We’re talking levels of me buying the magazine and the action figures. When RTD left, and there was no more Rose, Martha, Donna or David Tennant to stick around for – my interest waned. I’ve still watched every episode, but I never loved it the same way. Because of this, you can imagine my mood when the news broke that Russell T Davies would be back as showrunner for three specials he’d be bringing Tate and Tennant with him. I was elated. And a bit terrified. He had everything to lose bringing back such a beloved era in a time where the quality of Who was shaky at best. Did he pull it off? I think so. Here’s all three of the Doctor Who 60th episodes ranked from a bit lame to truly life-changing.

3. The Star Beast

Via BBC

The Doctor Who 60th special episodes kicked off with The Star Beast, and whilst I think it’s a necessary episode of scene setting, it’s the one that feels in all honesty a bit of a mess and easily gets ranked the worst. There’s a lot of timey wimey stuff to glance over – namely how Donna isn’t instantly dying as she remembers the Doctor. When Tennant and Tate departed, he had to wipe her memory. It’s got a bit of a bungled explanation that’s to do with Rose – Donna’s daughter. The show handles the trans representation here amazingly, even if Yasmin Finney’s acting chops aren’t always hitting.

The MVP of this episode is Sylvia Noble and her tuna madras. Sylvia was a bit of a villain in previous years, but she’s stepping into her own as an icon who’s softened over the years. Miriam Margolyes is suitably daft as the Meep, and the twist is a laugh – but this episode feels too juvenile for my tastes and is running at a million miles an hour, never quite letting characters just enjoy each other’s presence. In all honesty, it felt a bit Chibnall.

2. The Giggle

Via BBC

The Giggle is truly like no other episode of Doctor Who you’ve ever watched. The show has never had this level of polish and budget – you feel like you’re watching a Marvel film (if Marvel films were, you know, good). The budget is just astonishing, and it’s amazing not only seeing Doctor Who look so good but literally FEEL so good again. By The Giggle, the third of the Doctor Who 60th episodes, we’re splitting hairs on what gets ranked at the top. Tennant and Tate are electric, back in the swing of things. Neil Patrick Harris, an actor I often find insufferable, admittedly killed it as The Toymaker. He feels dangerous, and his relishing of his danger is just a joy to watch. The Spice Girls scene!? The screaming dead guard in a balloon? Come on.

The ending, where the bi-regeneration happens and we see Ncuti Gatwa debut alongside the 10th Doctor, filled with sexual tension and vigour – it’s just euphoric. And the show conveniently finds a way to keep David Tennant and Catherine Tate around, should the opportunity for a spin-off arise or the option to bring them back proves too tempting.

My only qualms with this episode is I feel like it would have benefitted from a bit of breathing room. There was a lot to cram into an hour, and whilst it’s certainly a success the climactic moments are sped through and it diminishes the threat of the Toymaker from earlier in the episode.

1. Wild Blue Yonder

Via BBC

To me, Wild Blue Yonder is a perfect episode. I’ve ranked it top of the Doctor Who 60th special episodes because it plays up to this era of the show’s biggest strength: The natural chemistry between David Tennant and Catherine Tate. For a full hour, we see the Doctor and Donna isolated at the edge of the universe against doppelgänger intruders who are out to deceive and mimic – a la their original season’s Midnight episode. The way this episode pays tribute to space horror greats of cinema like Alien and Event Horizon had me BEAMING at the telly.

The horror is excellent, the acting is a riot and the visuals are the perfect mix of camp and terrifying. My favourite Doctor Who moments are always the times where the writing gives us a “if the clock is broken, then what’s that ticking noise” line – and Wild Blue Yonder is full of them. The episode feels filled with real peril, witty writing and unreal performances. Had me grinning at the screen, overjoyed that Doctor Who was once again back at the top.

For all the latest reality TV and entertainment news and gossip, like Pop Culture Shrine on Facebook