There’s been a huge The Fall of the House of Usher clue staring us in the face this whole time

This is so CLEVER

People are only just starting to realise a huge clue in The Fall of the House of Usher that’s been staring us in the face since we were first introduced to the mysterious Verna.

The Fall of the House of Usher is an adaptation of classic Edgar Allen Poe, and there are a lot of references to his work throughout the series. One of the more subtle hints at the Poe stories is Verna, and in particular her name. The creepy character was created for the show, and eerily follows the Usher family around throughout the series, and all of the family member’s downfalls.

Verna in The Fall of the House of Usher on Netflix

via Netflix

Verna has been a clue staring us in the face since the start of The Fall of the House of Usher

So, Verna’s name is a big reference to Poe’s work. “Verna” is an anagram for “Raven,” as in “The Raven,” Poe’s most famous poem. You might have also noticed that throughout the show, there are ravens dotted around in lots of scenes. Roderick Usher has visions of ravens multiple times.

Verna often pops up with raven imagery throughout The Fall of the House of Usher. There are ravens in the scenes, as well as more subtle hints such as a stuffed raven in the bar we see Verna working at, and a raven in a painting behind her in one scene, which all leads up to a scene in the final episode where Verna shape-shifts into a raven.

The raven imagery has a deeper meaning, and is a constant reminder to Roderick of his fate and grief. In The Poe poem, the raven is a symbol  for mournful, never-ending remembrance. It focuses on the narrator’s sorrow over a loss. The ravens in The Fall of the House of Usher are a constant reminder to Roderick of how his decisions have impacted his family, and therefore caused their deaths.

The Fall of the House of Usher is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.