prince William coronation

Here’s why people think William made a dig at Harry and Meghan in his Coronation speech

The new Prince of Wales threw some heavy shade

Prince William made a dig at Prince Harry and Meghan Markle during his Coronation concert speech last night, according to reactions online.

The Coronation concert saw several huge stars perform their best hits, Katy Perry even dedicated Firework to the newly appointed King.

William, the Prince of Wales also made a speech dedicated to his dad at the Coronation concert. Some viewers felt as though William’s speech gave an indirect message to Harry and Meghan.

As Prince William took the stage he said: “As my grandmother said when she was crowned, coronations are a declaration of our hopes for the future. And I know she’s up there, fondly keeping an eye on us. She would be a very proud mother.”

He then made a reference to a point which was once made by Harry and Meghan themselves. They previously said: “We can all live a life of service. Service is universal.” Prince William told the crowd: “For all that celebrations are magnificent, at the heart of the pageantry is a simple message – service. My father’s first words on entering Westminster Abbey yesterday were a pledge of service. It was a pledge to continue to serve. Because for over 50 years, in every corner of the UK, across the Commonwealth and around the world, he has dedicated himself to serve others, both current and future generations, and those whose memory must not be neglected.”

Twitter has obviously gone wild for all the Coronation drama. One person said: “Service Harry. Did you hear that? Not a free ride.” Others implied “service” isn’t something Prince Harry or Meghan understand.

You can watch Prince William give his full Coronation speech here.

What did Harry and Meghan say about service?

When Prince Harry and Meghan stepped down as working members of the royal family, Buckingham Palace stated: “Following conversations with the Duke, the Queen has written confirming that in stepping away from the work of the Royal Family it is not possible to continue with responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service.”

Followed by Harry and Meghan who then said: “We can all live a life of service. Service is universal.”

Prince Harry was present for his dad’s Coronation but then flew back to the US immediately after. He went from Westminster Abbey to Terminal five at Heathrow in less than an hour. Yikes.