errol lindsey

‘It’s retraumatising’: Errol Lindsey’s family speak out against the Jeffrey Dahmer Story

Errol was Dahmer’s 11th known victim

Netflix’s Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story has been met with fairly good reviews across the board. Rotten Tomatoes has given it a rating of 67 per cent fresh; while Metacritic has scored it an average 47.

However, it has been alleged by the family of Errol Lindsay that creators Ryan Murphy and Ian Brennan didn’t ask for permission to portray his story. They’ve been incredibly outspoken about the series on Twitter, branding it “retraumatising” and “wild”.

Errol, Dahmer’s 11th known victim, was only 19 when he met the serial killer. He was murdered in a truly grotesque way – and his sister, Rita Isbell, infamously screamed at Dahmer during his trial. A clip comparing the Netflix depiction to the real-life trial footage has since gone viral.

jeffrey dahmer

Photo via Netflix

Quote-tweeting the clip; Errol’s cousin, Eric, spoke about his family’s trauma, while having to relive these events all over again.

“I’m not telling anyone what to watch, I know true crime media is huge rn,” he said. “But if you’re actually curious about the victims, my family (the Isbells) are pissed about this show. It’s retraumatising over and over again, and for what? How many movies/shows/documentaries do we need?”

He continued, “like recreating my cousin having an emotional breakdown in court in the face of the man who tortured and murdered her brother is WILD. WIIIIIILD.”

People quickly responded to Eric’s allegations that Netflix didn’t ask the family for permission before recreating Rita’s breakdown. “As someone who has interest in ‘true crime’, this is despicable,” one person replied. “Movies/docs should never be made about real life killers/victims unless they have explicit permission from the victims’ families and those families give permission to everything that’s included. And one is enough.”

“My heart goes out to you and your family,” said another. “I cannot imagine having the worst part of your life recreated and put out as entertainment. I am so sorry and I hope this tweet gets the attention it deserves.”

The Tab has reached out to Netflix for comment.

Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story is now streaming on Netflix. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.