Lionel Dahmer now

Meet Lionel Dahmer, serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer’s dad who is still alive today

He was involved in Netflix’s Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story

On July 23 1991 Lionel Dahmer discovered his son, Jeffrey Dahmer, was a serial killer but where is he now? His character features in the first episode of Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story and it turns out Lionel is still alive today.

Jeffrey Dahmer was an American serial killer, sex offender and cannibal who committed the murder and dismemberment of 17 men and boys between the years 1978 and 1991. His father has since claimed he blames himself for his son’s crimes. Here’s everything you need to know about Lionel Dahmer, the father of Jeffrey Dahmer.

Who is Lionel Dahmer?

86-year-old Lionel Dahmer is the father of serial killer and cannibal, Jeffrey Dahmer. He also has a younger son, David Dahmer. Lionel shares both of his sons with his first wife Joyce Dahmer. However he and Joyce got divorced when Jeffrey was 18. Back in 1978, Lionel married his second wife, Shari Jordan who then became a step mum to Jeffrey and David Dahmer.

Lionel worked as a writer after graduating from University of Wisconsin in 1959 and Marquette Uni, receiving Master of Science, in 1962. For most of Jeffrey’s childhood Lionel was away studying so missed a lot of his son growing up. In 1966 he became a graduate of Iowa State University, getting Doctor of Philosophy. He then served as a senior research chemist at PPG industries from 1960 to 1962. He’s been a research supervisor in analytical chemistry since 1968.

What has Lionel Dahmer said about his son Jeffrey?

Since finding out his son was a serial killer, Lionel has been very open about his thoughts and feelings. In 1994 he wrote an entire book called ‘A Father’s Story’ which was dedicated to being the dad of serial killer and cannibal Jeffrey Dahmer. He expresses the complicated and contradictory feelings he has about his son. In the book he implies that the prescription drugs Jeffrey’s mother was on whilst pregnant could have affected his brain in a negative way.

Jeffrey Dahmer true story

Evan Peters as Jeffrey Dahmer, via netflix

He also wonders whether his son’s shyness as a child was a red flag portraying his murderous tendencies. He also blames himself for Jeffrey’s flaws saying he was negligent and probably didn’t give enough to Jeffrey emotionally. He even blamed his chemistry background. In his book he writes: “As a scientist, I wonder if the potential for great evil resides deep in the blood that some of us may pass on to our children at birth.”

Did Lionel visit Jeffrey Dahmer in prison?

In short, yes. Lionel reportedly stayed in regular contact with Jeffrey and visited him in prison alongside his wife Shari.

Since the death of his son Jeffrey Dahmer, Lionel has been involved in several TV shows and documentaries, including Biography, Dahmer on Dahmer: A serial killer speaks and even Netflix’s latest show Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story.

Where is Lionel Dahmer now?

It’s now reported Lionel lives in Ohio with his wife Shari and since 2020 he has kept away from being in the public eye.

Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story is now streaming on Netflix. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.