uk celebrities at the met gala

All the iconic UK celebs who went to the Met Gala – and what they wore

Waiting patiently for next year’s invite x

For the first time in two years, the legendary Met Gala was held on its rightful date, this Monday (2nd May). As usual, the celebrities who went took quite a lot of… erm, artistic license with the theme. You’d have thought with half the Bridgerton cast showing up there’d be at least one person nailing “Gilded Glamour,” but alas, the monochrome mesh monstrosity dominated yet again.

It’s safe to say far too much focus has been placed on Hollywood stars attending over the years. Kim Kardashian this, Kylie Jenner that – what about the rogue UK celebrities hiding out in the bathroom? Next year, I only want to see Dani Harmer in an iconic red sweater and Richard Osman wearing a hot pink tux.

Fear not, though. This year, we’re placing homegrown stars front-and-centre. So, here’s every single UK celebrity who went to the Met Gala this year:

Lily James

uk celebrities at met gala

Photo by Gregory Pace/Shutterstock

The Pam and Tommy star wore Versace on the red carpet – and, to quote Shawn Mendes, “it’s giving Cher.” Thing is, I’m not sure it’s giving Gilded Glamour, and that’s the issue.

I kind of love it, though? Plus she looks amazing.

Cara Delevingne

cara delevingne

Photo by Gregory Pace/Shutterstock

Mommy? Sorry. Mommy? Sorry.

I feel this look is quintessentially Cara. It’s so simple, yet so on theme. I’d take this over an Amy Schumer-esque black wearable curtain any day.

Stormzy

stormzy

Photo by David Fisher/Shutterstock

Best male look of the night, for me. You can’t really ever go wrong with Riccardo Tisci – who’s designs have previously been worn by Rihanna, Madonna and Jay-Z. This is SO regal, although the cape is reminding me of graduation a little bit.

Simone Ashley

simone ashley

Photo by AFF-USA/Shutterstock

Sorry, but what is this? A crop top with puffy sleeves? You star in a REGENCY PERIOD DRAMA, Simone. You could’ve done so much better than this.

The Bridgerton actress was styled by Rebecca Corbin-Murray, who dressed a number of other stars on this list.

Nicola Coughlan

uk celebrities at the met gala

Photo by AFF-USA/Shutterstock

Hate the black bralette, *love* everything else. The feathers, the train, the matching pink makeup – perfection. Bridgerton and Derry Girls’ Nicola Coughlan was styled by Richard Quinn – famous for dressing Billy Porter, Addison Rae and Bella Poarch.

Phoebe Dynevor

uk celebrities at the met gala

Photo by David Fisher/Shutterstock

The Bridgerton girlies really let us down this year – can we bring the show stylist on board for 2023, please? There’s nothing particularly glamorous about this, imo. Looks like any old mesh nightie you can get online.

Gemma Chan

gemma chan

Photo by Matt Baron/Shutterstock

Finally, some good food! Love the hooped skirt – something we should’ve seen more of from the Bridgerton cast, actually. Gemma’s wet-look hair and makeup ties the look together, making for one of the best outfits of the entire Met.

Iris Law

@iris__lawMy first met ✅

♬ original sound – Yo Momma

Unpopular opinion: This outfit is really pretty and the epitome of glamour. Obviously, I have to knock off points for nepotism baby-reasons, but overall this was a LOOK.

Sophie Turner

sophie turner

Photo by David Fisher/Shutterstock

This is very vampy, very Mona Lisa. The Game Of Thrones actress stunned on this year’s Met Gala red carpet, wearing a Louis Vuitton original.

Paul Mescal

This look screamed “year 11 prom” to me. The all-black was classy, but where was the gild? Where was the glamour? You’re not a Normal Person anymore, Paul. Set a better example next time, pls.

Naomi Campbell

naomi campbell

Photo by David Fisher/Shutterstock

An original Met legend, right next to Kate Moss. The dress, facial jewellery and details are everything you’d expect when it comes to Gilded Glamour. Of course, the ’90s supermodel is bringing Burberry back with one banging look.

Kate Moss

kate moss

Photo by David Fisher/Shutterstock

I mean, this is nice. But it’s something I’d wear to dinner on a special occasion. It doesn’t really fit the “gilded” brief, but it’s Kate Moss so she looks literally stunning anyway.

Alexa Chung

alexa chung

Photo by David Fisher/Shutterstock

Actual Alexa Chung off T4 and YouTube!!! Next year, I’d like to see Vernon Kay and Simon Amstell take to the Met, pls. This look is gorgeous – if a little underwhelmingly award-show-red-carpet. But, so classic and so beautiful.

Daisy Edgar-Jones

The Fresh actress wore a standard issue Oscar de la Renta dress on the red carpet – sure, it was dripping in rhinestones, but where was the heart? Also, she would’ve won the Met Gala if she’d come in some kind of “skin” costume a la Fresh.