ella-vaday-drag-race-uk-queen-ru-paul

Meet Ella Vaday: The Dagenham-based triple threat on Drag Race UK season three

‘I love being cheeky, taking the mick, and being a bit sarky’

Drag Race UK is inching ever closer, with the first episode airing on Thursday (23/09). And as Ru Paul fever starts to set in, it’s about time we met some of the cast. One of the queens aiming for Drag Race superstardom is Ella Vaday from Dagenham in Essex.

Describing herself as the “drag beast from the East,” Ella is a triple threat who promises to put on an exciting show. Here’s everything we know about Ella Vaday:

Ella’s name has its origins in her old dog-walking business

Ella used to work on the West End and run a dog-walking business on the side. When she’d go into work, she’d always say: “It’s been a hell of a day.”

At the time, her drag name was Ella Vanass but people thought she was called Elephant Ass.

She took to the opportunity to change her name to Ella Vaday and hasn’t looked back since.

“It’s very me,” she says. “Very British and a little bit moany.”

She’s a triple threat

Ella’s been in a whole host of West End shows and was even a back-up dancer for Olly Murs on the X Factor.

“I do all sorts,” she says. “Lots of singing and dancing, and I love being cheeky, taking the mick, and being a bit sarky.”

Ella’s only been doing drag for two years

When Ella first started doing drag, she did so in complete secrecy. She started an Instagram and quickly amassed a loyal following which went from 6k to 30k in lockdown last year.

But finding drag has provided an important release for Ella.

“My drag is the feminine side of me, which as a male actor I’ve never been allowed to show, so it’s two fingers up to everyone who has ever told me I must look like a leading man,”she says. “Now, I am both the lead man and the lead woman!”

Save the start date because Drag Race UK season three premieres 23rd September on BBC iPlayer. For all the latest Drag Race memes and Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

• Meet Krystal Versace: The chaotic Kent-based queen on Drag Race UK season three

Meet Elektra Fence: The Burnley-based viral sensation on Drag Race UK season three

• Meet Scarlett Harlett – the working class, East London queen of Drag Race UK season three