Get ready to bend and snap! Legally Blonde three is finally coming next year

Reese Witherspoon is back as Elle and I could not be any more excited

Legally Blonde three has been confirmed and in the best news ever, it’s finally dropping on our screens next year! Reese Witherspoon is back as Elle, Mindy Kaling is on board as a writer, and apparently it’s going to be full of fashion and feminism. Could this be any more perfect?

Reese Witherspoon confirmed it way back in June 2018, posting a video of her floating in a pool wearing the iconic Elle pink sequin bikini and sunglasses look, and captioning it “It’s true… #LegallyBlonde3”.

The first Legally Blonde film was released in 2001, and the second in 2003 – so it’s safe to say we’ve waited long enough to see what Elle gets up to next.

When is the Legally Blonde three release date?

It was confirmed over three years ago and pre-production of the new Legally Blonde film was reportedly meant to start in May 2020. However, due to coronavirus everything was pushed back and it’s now set to be released in May 2022 – literally only a few months away! I could not be any more excited.

Who’s been cast in Legally Blonde three?

Reese Witherspoon will be back as Elle Woods, obvs. She’s also producing the film, which is quite iconic tbh – Elle herself would be proud.

So far on IMBd, the only other confirmed cast is Jennifer Coolidge, back as Elle’s bestie Paulette. Alanna Ubach and Jessica Cauffiel are also reportedly back as Serena and Margot, Elle’s two best friends from Delta Nu.

legally blonde three

Last year, Luke Wilson who plays Elle’s husband Emmett said he’d “love to do another” Legally Blonde film. He told Entertainment Tonight: “I would say they definitely have a few children and I just think that it’d be really funny if Reese had a little mini-me, a version of herself. I would definitely think that they’d have a couple of children.”

Do we know anything about what the film’s plot will be?

Mindy Kaling is writing the film, along with Dan Goor, creator of Brooklyn 99 and Parks and Rec. The original Legally Blonde producers Marc Platt and Adam Siegel will also be working on the film.

In a 2019 interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Reese Witherspoon said Legally Blonde three will be full of fashion and “awesome feminist ideas”. She said: “It will be global. It will have animals. It will have returning cast members.”

legally blonde three

Mindy told Elle: “It’s really challenging, because Elle Woods is such an iconic character and so loved.

“Ordinarily, I think I would actually not find that really fun to do because the expectations are set. But because we haven’t seen the character in 18 years, I was excited.”

She said the Elle we see in Legally Blonde three is going to be a lot more grown up: “We know what Elle was like when she was 21, 22 years old. But what about when she’s 42? That character, so innocent and girly, what is she like when she’s dealing with adult problems and is an adult woman? She’s not a little girl anymore. [From there], I know what the movie is about.”

From what Luke Wilson said about Elle and Emmett potentially having a couple of kids, could these be the “adult problems” Elle is going to be dealing with?

The first two Legally Blonde films are available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.