Breaking: Gavin Williamson has been sacked as education secretary

Now there’s a surprise

Gavin Williamson has been sacked as education secretary, making him the first and most unsurprising minister culled in today’s much-hyped cabinet reshuffle.

With rumours flying, Williamson announced his departure in a tweet saying he was “particularly proud of the transformational reforms” he’s led in colleges and apprenticeships.

The tweet didn’t mention the shambolic pandemic A-level results day, or the government’s u-turn over free school meals.

Any chances of salvaging his reputation took a big hit last week when he confused Marcus Rashford and Maro Itoje in an interview – and then decided a video-link was the perfect medium to tell university leaders to get back to in-person teaching

Robert Buckland, the secretary of state for justice, followed Gavin Williamson in being sacked, as Boris Johnson shakes up his government.