the crown season five

This is everything we know about season five of The Crown so far

The release date has just been confirmed

It’s been nearly a year since the last season of The Crown was released and given all the real life royal drama that’s happened in the last 12 months (thanks Harry and Meghan), season five of The Crown can not come soon enough.

The last series of The Crown introduced us to Princess Diana, covered Margaret Thatcher’s reign and South African Apartheid.

Now in the latest season Princess Diana’s relationship with Prince Charles is expected to be a big focus. But this time around there’s a brand new cast, a significant time jump and more stunning British locations on display.

via Netflix

The show is not expected to be released until late next year, so in the mean time this is everything we know about The Crown season five:

What events will be covered in this season of The Crown?

Following on from the end of season four which ended at the end of the 1980s, the next season of The Crown will cover the period of royal life from the mid to late 1990s. The Queen famously called the year 1992 her “annus horribilis” meaning horrible year because of a multitude of bad events so we can expect some intense storylines.

Though no storylines have been confirmed easily some of the biggest events thought to be covered will be the breakdown of Charles and Diana’s marriage, her infamous Panorama interview and her death.

Other events which could be included could be the divorces of Princess Anne and Prince Andrew. Windsor Castle experienced a fire in 1992 which could make its way into the show along with political changes including the arrival of Prime Minister John Major.

Who is in the cast of season five?

via Netflix

Every two seasons of The Crown the cast is changed and so going into season five we will see a whole new range of faces.

The Queen will be played by Imelda Staunton, most well known for her role as Professor Umbridge in Harry Potter. Imelda said she was a big fan of the show and was honoured to be joining the cast.

Playing the Queen’s husband Prince Philip will be Jonathan Pryce who is known for his roles in The Two Popes, Pirates of The Caribbean and as the High Sparrow in Game of Thrones.

Princess Diana will be played by Australian actress Elizabeth Debicki. Elizabeth has called the role of Diana a “privilege and an honour”.

Other main characters include Dominic West as Prince Charles, Lesley Manville as Princess Margaret and Jonny Lee Miller as Prime Minister John Major.

When is The Crown season five coming out?

The Crown began filming in July of this year. So far pictures have appeared of Elizabeth Debicki filming scenes with young Prince William and Harry. There’s also been shots of Imelda Staunton filming on a boat in a small Scottish town.

Netflix has just confirmed series five will be coming out in November 2022 in a video featuring Imelda Staunton as part of Netflix’s virtual fan event TUDUM.

The Crown is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook. 

Featured image credit: Netflix