So what does the Royal Family really think of Netflix’s The Crown?

Camilla apparently watches it with a glass of red wine

Following the death of her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, The Crown series has gone back into the top 10 on Netflix, with 17.6 million hours of the show being watched globally in the last week.

Ever since Netflix first released The Crown, which gives a dramatised version of the life of the Royal Family, everyone has wanted to know what the family actually thought of the show.

Well apparently just like in any family there’s a lot of mixed reactions to the show. Some of the members are actually big fans and watch the show with their Netflix accounts. Whereas others have never watched it and are deeply annoyed by the show.

But all I really want to know is if the ever Queen sat down with a cuppa in her dressing gown pressing “skip intro” to get to the episode quicker.

A number of sources close to the Royal Family have revealed exactly what the family thinks of Netflix’s show. And this is everything we found out about what the Royal Family actually think of The Crown:

Did the Queen watch The Crown?

This is pretty exciting but apparently the Queen had watched a few episodes of The Crown.  The Sunday Express reported a senior royal source had said the Queen had watched a number of episodes with her son and daughter in law, Prince Edward and Sophie the Countess of Wessex.

They apparently have a Netflix account and got the Queen into the show during their weekend dinners where they eat a meal in front of the TV. Royals, they’re just like us.

They said: “It has been a longstanding arrangement that they drive to Windsor at the weekend to join the Queen for an informal supper while watching TV or a film. They have a Netflix account and urged her to watch it with them.”

via Netflix

And Princess Eugenie has also supported this by saying at a party that her granny “loves it”. Vanessa Kirby, who played Princess Margaret in the first two seasons, said a friend of hers met Princess Eugenie at a party and was raving about the series.

She said: “A friend of mine was at a party and didn’t know anyone, so he sidled up to this group who were talking about The Crown, when one said, ‘Well, my granny watches it and really likes it’. It slowly dawned on him that the girl was Eugenie and her granny was the Queen.”

But what did the Queen actually think about The Crown?

Despite the Queen having been said to have watched a number of episodes, it doesn’t necessarily mean she was the biggest fan. According to reports she was unhappy with how some scenes have been played out.

In particular she did not enjoy the scenes of Prince Philip being unsympathetic to Charles when he attended boarding school.

via Netflix

A royal source said: “I can convey that she was upset by the way Prince Philip is depicted as being a father insensitive to his son’s well-being.

“She was particularly annoyed at a scene in which Philip has no sympathy for a plainly upset Charles while he is flying him home from Scotland. That simply did not happen.”

Did Prince Philip watch The Crown?

The short answer is no, Prince Philip had reportedly not watched The Crown.

However, he was aware of the show and Matt Smith, who played the Prince in the first two seasons, told a story about a friend of his who was seated next to Philip at a dinner. Prince Philip reportedly asked his friend if he was involved in this “Crown thing”.

Matt Smith also revealed his friend asked Prince Philip if he had watched it, to which he answered: “Don’t. Be. Ridiculous.” So that answers that.

What do King Charles and Camilla think of their portrayal on The Crown?

King Charles and Camilla have reportedly watched previous series of The Crown. A source told Vanity Fair Camilla had watched previous seasons and doesn’t have any issue with it.

via Netflix

They said: “I imagine she’ll be tuning in with a glass of red wine to watch it, she has seen the previous series. She has a wonderful sense of humour and this won’t fuss her in the slightest.

“She has watched it, of course she has and I believe [Charles] has too. I don’t think she has any real issue with it. Her feeling is very much ‘never complain, never explain.'”

However friends of Charles say he has never seen it and he thinks it has painted him in a “unflattering light”.

How does Prince William feel about The Crown?

Before series four came out Olivia Colman revealed she had spoken to Prince William about the show. She asked him whether he had watched it and he gave a “firm no.”

Now that the fourth season is out and covers his parents’ relationship William’s stance on the show is even clearer. He is reportedly thought to think his parents are being exploited for money.

A source told The Daily Mail: “The Duke of Cambridge is none too pleased with it. He feels that both his parents are being exploited and being presented in a false, simplistic way to make money.”

They also said the series is bringing up events which happened over 25 years ago without regard “for anyone’s feelings.”

What does Princess Anne think of The Crown?

So it’s not 100 per cent clear if Princess Anne has watched it however she has said she finds the series “quite interesting”.

Her main thoughts about the show have been around Erin Doherty, who plays her in seasons three and four, and how she does her hair.

via Netflix

In an interview with Town and Country, Erin revealed it takes them two hours to do her hair.

Princess Anne has clearly read the article as she said: “Actually I read an article the other day about The Crown, the actress was talking about how long it took them to do their hair like I did. And I’m thinking, ‘How could you possibly take that long?’ I mean it takes me 10 or 15 minutes’.”

What has Princess Eugenie said about The Crown?

Princess Eugenie has reportedly watched a number of episodes and said it was “filmed beautifully” and she felt “very proud” watching it.

She said: “It is filmed beautifully. The music is wonderful, the story is beautiful. You feel very proud to watch it. I can’t speak for everyone, but that’s how I felt when I watched it.”

Is that not the sweetest reaction ever?

The Crown season four is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook. 

Featured image credit: Netflix