The show creators and cast on what they want in season three of Outer Banks on Netflix

All we ask for is Kiara and JJ, ok?

Where do we even start with Outer Banks? It’s one of those shows you can’t help but become hooked on, and inevitably obsessed with. Netflix could keep rolling out seasons, and we would binge-watch every single time. I’d probably still watch the Pogues in season 100, when they’re all in their 90s and hunting for treasure in their weekly day release from the nursing home. So, Outer Banks season three is probably a good place to start.

The creators have confirmed they want more seasons of the show, so all that’s left now is for Netflix to confirm it. The cast and producers have teased future plot lines, character romances and where exactly they’d want new episodes to go. Basically we need Outer Banks season three, and we need it like, yesterday. So here’s everything we know about the future of the show, so far.

Everything we know about season three of Outer Banks on Netflix, including potential plot story and release date

via Netflix

The creators want a season three and four of Outer Banks on Netflix

Whilst the show hasn’t yet been officially renewed by Netflix, all signs say that it will be. Netflix usually waits at least four weeks after a season release to see how the show performs before deciding if the appetite is there for more. Since season two was released, Outer Banks has topped the top 10 worldwide, and the show has a huge fandom that will remain P4L until the end of time. Plus, the creators have said they have plans for a third, and even fourth, season – there really is no reason for Outer Banks to not continue.

Back in 2020, the show creator Jonas Pate confirmed: “Ever since we started, we always viewed it as something that was probably like a four-season, maybe five-season show, but definitely four seasons. We’ve sort of long-arced it out pretty far. I’m just hoping that we get a chance to actually tell those stories.”

The interview concluded with him adding: “We love the mashup of friends on this fantasy thrilling adventure, and we feel like we really just played the opening round of that story. And now that the audience knows our characters and the baseline engine of the mystery is going, we just feel like we have a lot more good twists and turns left to explore, so we’re excited for more.”

In an interview with TVLine, Chase Stokes, who plays John B, said everyone at the show is “hoping to continue to tell the story for a couple more seasons.” Rudy Pankow, who plays JJ, has also said he would “love” to film a third season.

via Netflix

What might happen in a third season?

It looks like we might one day get the Kiara and JJ storyline we all so desperately crave, because after season one had dropped the creators said they were thinking about it in the future. “That [Kiara and JJ] was interesting to us, and so we’re thinking about that, but we don’t want to leave the Pope-Kiara story line short either,” Jonas Pate said. Josh Pate added that the creators are “aware” of the fans wanting romance between JJ and Ki. “We wanted to tease that for the third season,” he said. “We didn’t want to do it immediately, but we definitely want to do it just because that took us by surprise, like the audience’s reaction to JJ and Kiara and rooting for that romance. So we were immediately open to it, because it seems like an interesting idea to explore but we kind of left it for season three.”

via Netflix

Speaking of his character’s love life in the show, Rudy Pankow added that his character has “so many other things he’s dealing with” but at some point, will probably have a romance story line. He said: “I think there’s a talk with Pope, there’s a talk with Kie, like, ‘What exactly is going on?’ I’m your friend too. I think he might be feeling a little left out, like, ‘What’s going on here?’ I think what’s happening in season two is JJ is really focused on the safety of things and also restitution. So yeah, like I think there’s a lot of other factors that are going on with JJ. I think there will be a time a place to have that talk but it’s just not yet, because there are so many other things that he’s dealing with.”

Even if it’s not between JJ and Kiara, the show creators confirmed in an interview with EW that romance will be at the forefront of season three. “That was one thing we really loved about season one that’s less of an element of season one that we really want to get back to,” Josh Pate said. “That was the plan, kind of architecting the characters towards opening up some romances in season three.”

And after *that* season two ending, there’s clearly a lot more to come. *Spoilers ahead*.

via Netflix

Cleo has escaped with the Pogues, who are now deemed as missing – so now Cleo will be a fully-fledged Pogue and part of their upcoming dramas. Plus, Big John Routledge is alive!!! Are we finally going to get some scenes with him which aren’t flashbacks?! The new season could focus heavily on the Pogues with Limbrey and John B finding his dad. And what’s next for the Camerons? That’s anyone’s guess.

Jonas Pate confirmed that John B’s father being alive “sets up some stuff we want to explore in the third season.” Showrunner, Shannon Burke, added: “It’s going to be instrumental and maybe the spine [of season 3] basically. It’s obviously a gigantic revelation that’s going to power a huge part of the third season. I’m super interested to see how people are going to react or if they’re even going to remember who he was! We’re really having our fingers crossed the moment works and that people are excited.”

And of course, the show creators have said the Pogues will “never give up” on their hunt for fortune.

via Netflix

When might season three of Outer Banks be released?

We don’t want to get too ahead of ourselves, because you know, Netflix hasn’t actually confirmed anything. But if previous filming and release schedules are anything to go by, we could expect a third season with the Pogues in mid-late 2022.

Seasons one and two of Outer Banks are available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.