Who was Carol Sutton? The actress episode six of Outer Banks on Netflix pays tribute to

She died aged 76

Outer Banks is our fav teen mystery drama. We’re hooked on what the Pogues get up to, and equally as obsessed with the cast in real life. Season two is now on Netflix, and episode six of the new Outer Banks shares a tribute to Carol Sutton.

This may have left you wondering who exactly Carol Sutton is, and what her relevance to Outer Banks was. You might not know it yet, but as an Outer Banks fan, Carole Sutton’s face is one you have definitely seen before.

Carol Sutton was an actress who featured in Outer Banks season two

Episode six of Outer Banks season two on Netflix pays tribute to actress Carol Sutton

via Netflix

At the end of episode six of Outer Banks season two, titled My Druthers, a message comes up which reads: “In loving memory of Carol Sutton.” Carol appeared earlier in the episode, as Pope’s Me Maw, who is living in a nursing home. Pope goes there to try and find out more about his family history and how they are connected to the key that belonged to one of their ancestors, Denmark Tanny. Pope had found the mysterious key in his great-grandmother’s ceiling and wanted to know more of its origins.

Carol died in December 2020, due to complications from Covid-19. She was aged 76, and died just days after her 76th birthday. Outer Banks was one of her last acting roles. Carol was a huge star of stage and screen, having featured in films such as Steel Magnolias, The Big Easy and The Pelican Brief, and was devoted to the theatre community in her hometown of New Orleans. Carol also featured in the series Queen Sugar, and the creator of the show, Ava DuVernay, paid tribute to the “stellar” actress following her death.

As well as her acting roles, locally in New Orleans, Carol spent decades of her life doing social work for Total Community Action, an organisation which assists low-income families to help reduce poverty.

Seasons one and two of Outer Banks are available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.