degree-wasnt-good-value

Half of all uni students think their degree wasn’t good value for money

This is largely down to the lack of in-person tuition

Nearly half of all uni students believe their degree wasn’t worth the money they paid for it, a recent survey of 10,000 undergraduates suggests.

The percentage of students who felt this way (44 per cent) has doubled since 2019-20.

This is the first year in the 15-year lifespan of the Higher Education Policy Institute (HEPI) survey in which more students felt they were let down by their courses rather than being satisfied by the education they received.

Chief Executive of the Office for Students Nicola Dandridge told The Guardian: “It is clearly of concern to see such a significant increase in the number of students saying that their course presents poor value for money – largely driven by the limited availability of in-person tuition.

“If we are going to learn lasting and meaningful lessons from the pandemic, listening carefully and responding to students’ views will be essential.”

In spite of this, dropouts from university are down four per cent this academic year in comparison with the 2019-20.

Nick Hillman, the Director of HEPI, put this down to the alternatives to university being rubbish during the pandemic and the great efforts made by university staff to make education as normal as possible.