dry scooping tiktok

What actually is the dry scooping trend on TikTok and is it dangerous?

Someone on TikTok claimed she had a heart attack from it

TikTok is already filled with gym hacks and workout videos but now it turns out the latest gym trend of dry scooping is actually pretty dangerous.

Last week a woman claimed dry scooping had led to a heart attack after she tried the trend and ended up in the hospital.

@brivtny##fypシ♬ Be A Clown – ָ࣪ ۰♥︎ Osuna ࣪𖥔꒷

Briatney Portillo told Buzzfeed she tried dry scooping and initially felt tingly and itchy but researched it and found that was a normal side effect. As she continued her workout she experienced a heavy feeling in her chest but just tried to push it aside.

She said: “After I took the pre-workout, I started to feel tingly and itchy all over my body, which wasn’t a good feeling, but I googled it and it said that was a normal side effect. … So I began to do my workout.

“I started to feel a heavy feeling in my chest and slight pain, but it wasn’t too bad. I thought it was maybe anxiety or a bad panic attack, so I decided to just ignore it and push through my workout.”

Quickly after her workout, she experienced a heart attack and ended up in the hospital. She told Buzzfeed: “In the locker room of my job, I started getting hot, even though it was cold in there. … I started sweating a lot and was drenched even though I was wearing a bikini. Then my chest pain came back and this time it was more intense.

“The pain went to my back and to my left arm and my left arm went slightly limp, so I knew those were symptoms of a heart attack. I called 911 and the ambulance came.”

However Briatney’s experience hasn’t stopped thousands of people on TikTok trying to dry scoop and film the results, with the associated hashtags having over 400,000 views.

But what exactly is dry scooping? This is everything you need to know:

What is dry scooping?

Put simply dry scooping involves people taking a scoop of protein powder or pre workout and ingesting it dry without water.

They then follow it up with a little bit of water. People do it in order to get an energy burst just before they work out.

Ok so is it actually dangerous?

Dry scooping isn’t really a new thing but now doctors are warning against it thanks to the rise on TikTok.

Dr Daniel Atkinson told the Metro he was “concerned” over the trend and said you need to give the body time to absorb protein powder and this can’t be done by dry scooping.

He said: “Certain pre-workout powders contain lots of caffeine, sometimes extremely high amounts.When you mix the power into a shake, you’ll typically drink it over a few minutes.

“You wouldn’t consume the whole thing in one go, and you shouldn’t do this. You need to give the body time to absorb what you provide it with.”

@menanadosdry scoop and get hyped w me cus we going to the gym 😈♬ Shake That Ass – J.Earl 🌟

One of the main ingredients in protein powder or pre workout powder is caffeine. Ingesting that much caffeine is one of the reasons it’s dangerous to try the trend.

Dr Atkinson said: “Ingesting a high amount of caffeine in a very short space of time can be problematic and risky.

“Consuming too much caffeine can cause several symptoms including dilated pupils, increased urination, dizziness, headaches, dehydration, nausea, pain in the chest and irregular heartbeats or palpitations.

“The more you consume in one go, the more at risk you will be. This is especially true if you’re of a certain age, or you have a history with heart or chest problems.”

The other big problem with dry scooping is the literal process of scooping a whole spoonful of dry powder in your mouth, remember the cinnamon challenege?

Dr Atkinson advises against dry scooping for this exact reason, he said: “There is a very real chance that the powder could clump together when mixing with your saliva.

“I see no reason why this could not get trapped in the throat and even restrict your air supply. This, for clear reasons, is extremely dangerous.”

So yeah maybe avoid this one when you’re trying to get the gains.

Featured image credit before edits via Mark Bertulfo on Unsplash