Gyms and non-essential shops will reopen in England when lockdown ends

Honestly don’t know whether to go to the pub first or Tk Maxx

Gyms and non-essential shops will reopen after the current lockdown ends.

Boris Johnson is expected to announce today that after December 2nd, pubs will reopen and Christmas shopping can resume on the high street.

The new measures are part of Boris Johnson’s new ‘Covid Winter Plan’, which will include the following:

• Gyms will reopen

• Pubs and restaurants will reopen, and the 10pm curfew will be scrapped. Instead, it is expected last orders will be at 10pm, with people given an extra hour to finish off their drinks – meaning pubs will close at 11pm instead. The Telegraph reports Tier 3 pubs may be told to continue only providing a takeaway service, and that pubs in Tier 2 will only be allowed to serve alcohol with ‘substantial meals’ to indoor and outdoor customers

• Mass testing will be rolled out to all Tier 3 areas

• Non-essential shops will be allowed to reopen

Boris Johnson was due to set out his Christmas Covid plan today also, detailing whether households could bubble up, or if there would be limits on how many people can mix together during the rumoured five day Christmas period. However this has now been pushed back to Tuesday 24th, as government seeks approval from the devolved governments.

Stories recommended by this writer:

• ‘I have listened to it all’: What it is really like being a Nightline volunteer

• Nancy Rothwell apologises for not contacting ‘racially profiled’ student

• Scott Disick slid into Megan Barton Hanson’s DMs to ask her to apologise to Eyal