University of Hertforshire, Herts, uni, Hertfordshire, campus, police, serious incident, fight, weekend, fireworks, arrest

Armed police in riot gear called to uni campus to control students in ‘serious incident’

Videos show fireworks being let off and students have described the scene as ‘horrifying’

Videos have been circulating over the weekend of armed police at Hertfordshire University campus, after it was said they were called to reports of a “serious incident”.

Police were called on Saturday night to the Hatfield campus, and officers can be seen walking through the campus trying to control and calm down the situation with students. Videos which are circulating show fights between students and fireworks being let off. Loud screams can be heard in the background.

It’s been reported that there was a police helicopter and dogs also at the scene. Students have reportedly described the incident as “horrifying”, whilst another added: “One of the weirdest nights campus has ever seen”.

Quintin McKellar, Vice-Chancellor at the University of Hertfordshire, said: “We are aware of a serious incident on College Lane which took place last night [Saturday]. The circumstances remain unclear.

“We are working closely with Hertfordshire Constabulary who are investigating exactly what happened alongside the University’s Security and Dean of Students teams.

“The safety and well being of our community is our highest priority and we will be taking strong disciplinary action against any students involved in last night’s events.”

University of Hertfordshire Police confirmed in a statement:Police were called at around 1.30am on Sun 1 Nov to University of Hertfordshire campus, where a large gathering was taking place with reports of fireworks being thrown. Officers dispersed the crowd. One person was slightly injured and a 20 year old man was arrested on suspicion of affray.”