Nine easy vegan recipes to try, so you can boast about going vegan ‘that one time’
They’re also delicious
Every year, thousands of people across the UK try Veganuary. It's when you avoid meat, fish, dairy, eggs and honey for the whole month of January.
For the most part, people do it for either health or environmental reasons. But it doesn't have to be hard. Going vegan can be easy, cheap and delicious!
You really don't have to deprive yourself, as anything can be 'veganised'. Pancakes, Ice Cream, Creamy Pasta, Tacos – you name it. So, try some of my recipes to veganise some of your favourite meals:
Merry Christmas everyone 🤗🎄🎅🏻🎁 Hope you’re all enjoying the festive season with your family 😌 I’m taking these few days relatively away from social media just to be more present and mindful 🙏🏻 Yesterday we had our entire extended family from my mom’s side over and today we’re currently celebrating with my dad’s side. My favorite part is always singing Christmas songs with everyone while my mom accompanies us on the piano 🎼 What’s your favorite Christmas tradition? Also eating lots of yummy food 😍 Like these tacos 🌮🌮🌮 Filled with spicy chickpea & tomato mix, grilled corn, sautéed mushrooms, avocado, fresh herbs and yoghurt sauce 😋
3 Tortilla Wraps, ½ Avocado, 50 g Corn, 150 g Mushrooms, 1 Can Chickpeas, 5 tbsp. Tomato Paste, 150 g Cherry Tomatoes, Parsley, Hemp Seed Dressing (5 tbsp. each of Hemp Seeds and Water; 2 tbsp. each of Nutritional Yeast and Lemon Juice; Pinch of Sea Salt; 1 Clove of Garlic), Olive Oil.
– Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat and sauté the thinly sliced mushrooms until golden.
– Once done, remove the mushrooms and add the frozen corn kernels to lightly roast them until they develop a nice char-grill.
– Meanwhile, drain and rinse a can of chickpeas before adding it to a pot with 3 tbsp. of tomato paste, a dash of water, cherry tomatoes and spices (I used chili powder, paprika, sea salt, garlic powder, cumin, red pepper flakes and onion powder). Allow this to simmer until it thickens.
– For the hemp dressing, combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
– Finely chop the herbs and also cut the avocado.
– Lastly, lightly fry the tortillas in the pan over high heat until golden.
– Assemble everything and enjoy!
Curry night 😍💫 Perfect comfort food for a cold and rainy day! Chickpea masala with basmati rice 🌶️🍚 I have this at least once a week it's that good 🙊 So I haven't been online on IG for over 24 hours. My phone battery has died again and I have been phoneless since yesterday afternoon. It's given me so much time to do other things today and not just scroll aimlessly through IG (because all of a sudden it's an hour later 😅). Instead, I slept in this morning, skyped my parents, went grocery shopping, watched Gilmore Girls (I'm currently re-watching the show) and now I'm watching the ski races ⛷️⛷️ Today I'm trying to take an entire day off work and it's a lot harder than I thought and I'm having negative thoughts about being lazy and unproductive subconsciously. I'm doing my best to ignore them and enjoy today as much as possible before spending all of tomorrow at university to work on a project 🙏 If you read all of that, thank you 💕 How was your day?
1 Can Chickpeas, 1 Can Chopped Tomatoes, 2 tbsp. Tomato Paste, 1 Red Onion, 1 Clove of Garlic, Spices (Paprika, Cumin, Coriander, Turmeric, Sea Salt, Ground Black Pepper), Fresh Parsley, Olive Oil.
– Finely chop the onion and garlic before adding these to a pot over medium heat with a splash of olive oil until the onion turns slightly translucent.
– Add the spices (recommend 1 tsp. each but can do it to taste!) and stir them in.
– Then, add all remaining ingredients except the parsley to the pot.
– Reduce the heat and let it simmer for approximately 20 minutes.
– Serve with a side of basmati rice and top with some fresh parsley.
Creamy Pumpkin Pasta
Good food in good company 😍🍝 That’s what the holiday season is to me – Just spending lots of quality time with family and friends while enjoying delicious meals 😊 Like this creamy pumpkin pasta with mushrooms, kale, tomatoes, corn and lots of spices and herbs 🌽🍅🌶 What’s been your favorite meal of the last few days? Mine’s a tie between this and the vegan shepherds pie I had on Christmas Eve 😋
1 Portion of Penne, 150 g Mushrooms, 150 g Cherry Tomatoes, 50 g Corn, 30 g Kale, Pumpkin Sauce (300 g Butternut squash, 50 g Cashews, 2 tbsp. Vegetable Broth, 40 g Sundried Tomatoes, 2 tbsp. Nutritional Yeast, Dash of Water), Olive Oil.
– Chop the pumpkin into chunks and steam it in vegetable broth until tender.
– Add it to a blender together with all the other sauce ingredients.
– Add as much broth to reach the desired sauce consistency you want and season to taste.
– Meanwhile, boil the pasta according to the instructions.
– Also, sauté the chopped mushroom and tomatoes in olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
– Once done, remove the mushrooms and tomatoes, and add the frozen corn kernels to lightly roast them until they develop a nice char-grill.
– Lastly, steam the kale before combining everything and enjoying it!
Loaded Sweet Potato Nachos
🥙🌮🌯 Sweet potato nachos anyone? 😍 These bad boys are loaded with spicy beans in tomato sauce, grilled corn, avocado, some greens and a yoghurt sauce 💫👌🏻 Also just posted a long life update on my Insta Story so go check it out if you’re interested in what I’ve been up to over the holidays this past week 🙃
2 Large Sweet Potatoes, ½ Avocado, 1 Can of Mixed Beans in Spicy Tomato Sauce, 30 g Kale, 50 g Corn, 2 Salad Tomatoes, Hemp Seed Dressing (5 tbsp. each of Hemp Seeds and Water; 2 tbsp. each of Nutritional Yeast and Lemon Juice; Pinch of Sea Salt; 1 Clove of Garlic), Olive Oil.
– Preheat the oven to 220°C.
– Meanwhile, cut the sweet potatoes into thin slices of approximately 0.5 cm.
– Line a tray with baking paper, placing all the slices onto it and sprinkle with olive oil.
– Bake them in the oven for roughly 20 minutes until they become nice and crispy.
– Meanwhile, add the frozen corn kernels to a pan over medium heat to lightly roast them until they develop a nice char-grill.
– For the hemp dressing, combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
– Chop the tomatoes and avocado and lightly steam the kale.
– Once the potato nachos are done, assemble everything, season to taste and enjoy!
Falafel and Fries
Fries & falafel 😍🍟 Who wants a bite? 😋 Last dinner in England before flying home tomorrow 🙆🏼 So incredibly excited to go home for the holidays and get away from all the academic stress I put myself under at university. For those that have been following me for a while, you'll know how stressful this term was for me. I can't wait to recharge and re-prioritise what's important in my life. But most of all, I can't wait to spend time with loved ones 🤗 Need to pack now but I have I no motivation 🙊
3 Medium Potatoes, Spices for Potatoes (Paprika, Onion Powder, Sea Salt, Chili Powder), Olive Oil, 1 Can of Chickpeas, 15 g Fresh Parsley, ½ White Onion, 1 Clove of Garlic, 4 tbsp. All-Purpose Flour, 2 tbsp. Tahini, Spices for Falafel (1 tsp. Sea Salt, 1 tsp. Cumin, 1 tsp. Ground Coriander, 1 tsp. Black Pepper), Olive Oil.
– For the falafel, finely chop the onion, garlic and parsley before mixing them in a food processor.
– Add all other ingredients for the falafel (chickpeas, flour, tahini, spices) to the processor and combine them thoroughly until it becomes similar to a paste consistency. Adjust seasonings to taste. Cover and set the mixture aside in the fridge for an hour so that it can become firm.
– Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200°C and cut the potatoes into wedges of approximately 1.5 cm.
– In a bowl, combine the potato wedges with the spices and 1 tbsp, of olive oil and ensure they are evenly coated. Line a tray with baking paper, placing all the wedges onto it before baking them in the oven for roughly 30 minutes until they become nice and crispy.
– Once the falafel mixture has become firm, remove the mixture from the refrigerator and form small falafel discs using your hands.
– Heat a large frying pan over medium heat with olive oil before cooking the falafel on either side until they develop a nice colour.
– Here, the falafel and fries are served with a tomato & mango salsa, avocado, kale and ketchup but you can have them with anything!
Last pancake Sunday of the year 🙈💫 Cinnamon pancakes with chocolate granola, coconut yoghurt, lots of fruit and date syrup 😍😍😍 2017 has been a year of many ups and a few downs – had lots of good laughs, amazing holidays, finished third year of uni with a great result, had an internship with JLR, and much much more. 2017 definitely is a year to remember 😊 To finish off the year, I’m celebrating it with friends and family in Vienna 💃🏼🎉 We’ve had friends staying with us for three days now and they’ll be here for a few more, which is why I haven’t been online much or even posted 🙈Hope you’re all having a great end to 2017 💗
100 g All Purpose Flour, 150 ml Plantbased Milk, 1 Chia Egg (1 tbsp. Chia Seeds with 3 tbsp. Water), 1 tsp. Baking Powder, 1 tbsp. Coconut Sugar, 2 tbsp. Cinnamon.
– To make the chia egg, combine the chia seeds with the water in a small dish and mix thoroughly before allowing the mixture to thicken.
– Then, mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
– Place a non-stick pan on medium heat and warm the pan surface up.
– Once it is heated up, pour the batter into the pan in the desired size. When bubbles start to form, it is time to flip the pancake!
– Repeat this until all the batter is gone.
– Here the pancakes are served with coconut yoghurt, vegan chocolate granola, fruits, and maple syrup!
Happy first of advent 🤗🎄🎅 Can't believe Christmas is already in 3 weeks 🎉 Where has the year gone? 🙈 Started into the day with a delicious stack of cinnamon waffles 😍 With chocolate granola, coconut yoghurt, lots of fruit and date syrup 💫 I'm spending the entire day at university working on an assignment 🙃 What're your plans for the day? 💕
100 g All Purpose Flour, 150 ml Plantbased Milk, 1 tsp. Baking Powder, 1 tbsp. Coconut Sugar, 2 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract, A Pinch of Salt, 1 tbsp. Olive Oil.
– In a large bowl, mix together all dry ingredients.
– Then, add all wet ingredients and combine the mixture well to ensure there are no lumps in the batter.
– Pre-heat the waffle iron before pouring the batter into it.
– Cook the waffles according to the waffle iron’s directions until they become crisp. Here the waffles are topped with soy yoghurt, chocolate granola, fruits and maple syrup!
Warming bowl of oats 😍🙌🏻 I don't know about you, but oatmeal is my ultimate comfort food during winter and I could have it several times a day 🙊 Especially when I have warm stewed berry compote and homemade 'nutella' with lots of fruit 🍫🍌 On a different note, I have a big deadline for university tonight at midnight and am slowly dying 🙃 I keep thinking I'm done but then I keep changing things and it's just never-ending
100 g Rolled Oats, 300 ml Plantbased Milk, 1 tbsp. Cinnamon, 1 Ripe Banana, 1 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract (optional).
– Add the oatmeal, cinnamon, and milk to a pot over medium heat. Meanwhile, mash the banana in a small bowl.
– Once the oats have started to absorb some of the liquid, reduce the heat to a simmer and stir in the mashed banana and vanilla extract.
– Keep stirring until the oatmeal reaches the consistency you like.
– Add your toppings of choice! Here the oatmeal is topped with berry compote (just heated up mixed frozen berries with a splash of water and sugar), fruit, dairy-free chocolate spread and cacao nibs.
Missing summer, sunshine and acai bowls ☀️🔮😋 Who wants to escape to a tropical island with me? 🏝 Today has been a crazy hectic day at uni and it's not over yet. Today around 6pm I have my group poster presentation for the submarine project (which I'm leading 🤓) and then I also have a deadline at midnight 🙄 I've submitted the assignment but it's always so tempting to keep changing things 🙊 Anyway I hope this evening goes by smoothly 🙏🏻 Hope you've had a good day 💕
250 g Frozen Mixed Berries, 2 Frozen Bananas, 2 tbsp. Acai Powder or 1 Frozen Acai Packet, 100 ml Liquid (Plantbasd Milk, Coconut Water, Fruit Juice or Water).
– Take the frozen fruit out of the freezer and let them thaw for a few minutes.
– Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
– Add more liquid if a runnier consistency is wanted.
– Transfer the acai into a bowl and add the toppings of choice. Here the acai bowl is topped with toasted coconut chips, and fruits!