Uni of York campus shuttle route changes after ‘near miss incident’

The bus stop will be discontinued on the 29th

The University of York campus shuttle will no longer stop at James College after “a near miss incident”.

The bus stop, which was by the YUSU building and serviced James College, will be discontinued on the 29th of October.

In an email to students the decision was said to follow “health and safety concerns”.

An email went out to James College students today which said that the bus stop directly services James College on Campus West will be discontinued following an incident that resulted in “concerns raised by First Bus drivers”.

The email said: “The University maintains a close working relationship with First bus, the dedicated bus service provider across campus. Following a near miss incident, concerns raised by First Bus drivers and a review conducted by the Travel and Transport team, the bus stop that directly services James College on Campus West will be discontinued. This change will come into effect on Sunday 29 October.

“The alterations are being made due to health and safety concerns, specifically the turning point for buses close to the YUSU building. It’s essential to prioritise the safety of passengers and campus users.

“Instead of James College, the nearest bus stop will now be Newton Way, adjacent to South Car Park, which is just a short two minute walk from the College itself. A bus shelter will be erected as soon as possible at the stop and the C1 will remain a free campus shuttle route for all staff and students.

“The decision has been made with consideration for all stakeholders involved. We recognise that the change in bus stops is unfortunate and understand that this may inconvenience some James residents. If you have any concerns please let me know.”