Ozzie the campus wellbeing cat has a tumour and we are distraught

My heart is literally broken.

If you don’t know, Ozzie is Newcastle University’s wellbeing cat and works alongside Bessie, the Jack Russell, to provide wellbeing support to students. She’s been spotted all over campus and is a fan favourite among students and staff alike. Ozzie’s owner and the University’s Catholic Chaplain, Mia, shares her whereabouts and happy snaps with her fans on her Instagram @whiskers_of_wisdom, where she’s gained over 2,000 followers.

If you’ve been following along, you’ll know that Ozzie recently had surgery to remove a tumour and we’ve since seen pictures of her recovering like a champ.

Today, news of Ozzie’s post-op check up was shared on her Instagram and unfortunately, it’s not great news. While she’s healing nicely from her operation, her tumour was found to be malignant. It’s the news that no pet owner would ever want to receive, and I’m sure that all 2,000 of us feel like we’re loosing a pet too.

My heart breaks for Ozzie and Mia. While the post says Ozzie has probably got until Christmas, Mia reiterates what we already knew, saying how extraordinary Ozzie really is and believes she’s more than likely to beat the odds.

She’s not hanging up her hat yet either – she’s to be back on campus once she’s recovered to continue her honourable work. She truly is a remarkable kitty.

I speak for everyone when I say that we are all so grateful for every cuddle, stroke and sniff Ozzie has given us since she started working. She’s been the little ray of sunshine many of us have needed to pull us through exam season and has brought so much happiness to us when we’ve needed it.

Keep an eye out for her next appearance on campus to say hi – meanwhile, she’s having a well deserved rest and self medicating on Dreamies. You’ve got everyone behind you, Ozzie!

If you are a Newcastle University student and need support, you can access 24/7 information, advice and support through the TalkCampus and iNCLude service and find specialist support through the professional counselling and mental health team. To access these services please visit Student Wellbeing.

If you are a Northumbria University student feeling unsettled about the news, please be aware that support is available. You can access 24/7 information, advice and support through the Ask4Help service and specialist support through the professional counselling and mental health team. To access these services please visit Student Life and Wellbeing.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.