Newcastle Uni Turkish Society are raising money for those affected by earthquakes in Turkey

You can support the relief campaign financially or by donating items from their required list

A series of devastating earthquakes rocked Turkey and Syria on Monday morning, with the first 7.8 magnitude earthquake happening before dawn, when many people will still have been sleeping. More than 11,000 people have died following the earthquake and after multiple strong aftershocks. This figure is expected to rise.

Newcastle University Turkish Society positioned themselves outside the SU building today from 9am until 5pm, raising funds to support those affected by the earthquake.

The society announced their mourning via their Instagram @newcastleuni_turkish and organised a donation point, raising money for the Turkish Community Association, a charity located in the North East whose funds and donations go towards those whose lives have been affected by the tragic earthquakes in Turkey. They are also using their platform to spread awareness and encourage students to donate where they can.

The Turkish Community Association is urgently appealing for physical donations from their list of required items, including toiletries, food, equipment, children’s toys, baby formula, and new winter clothes for both adults and children. Find the full list here.

Items can be dropped off between the 11th and 14th February at their centre, located at 35 Grainger Park Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE4 8SA. All items will be sent to Turkey on Wednesday 15th February.

You can also donate to the charity directly, with details for donations provided on the poster above. For more information, get in contact with @newcastleuni_turkish on Instagram or contact the charity directly using the contact details, also found on the poster above. You can also donate directly through the British Red Cross.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTabNewcastle on Instagram or The Tab Newcastle on Facebook.