Man who killed 19-year-old Manchester Met student Luke O’Connor sentenced to 15 years

Luke was stabbed to death in Fallowfield last year after coming home from a Halloween party

The man who killed 19-year-old Manchester Metropolitan University student, Luke O’Connor, after he was walking back to his house in Fallowfield last October has been sentenced to 15 years in prison.

Shiloh George Pottinger was found guilty of manslaughter by a jury last month after a three week trial at Manchester Crown Court.

The court heard how Luke – a second year business student – was stabbed to death on Wilmslow Road in the early hours of 26th October after his mate made a “silly and light-hearted” comment about skateboarding to Pottinger.

Pottinger first attacked Luke with his skateboard before pulling out a 13-inch mafia stiletto knife and stabbing him eight times.

His friend who was with him, Charlie “tried to assist” Luke but distressing CCTV footage played in court showed Luke collapsing in the road bleeding heavily.

Pottinger reportedly fled the scene, disposing of his jacket and skateboard over the wall of Owen’s Park student accommodation.

CPR was commenced at the scene. Luke tragically passed away at 4.51am in hospital as a result of his injuries.

Pottinger, a music producer and student at BIMM university, was initially charged with murder but denied this in court, claiming he was acting in self-defence.

Yesterday, during sentencing, the judge ruled he must serve at least 10 years of his sentence before he can be considered for release.

Luke O’Connor’s mother said that it has been the “worst rollercoaster you could imagine” and that her son paid the “ultimate price” for “standing up to his killer”.

Detective Sergeant Laura Murray, who is part of Greater Manchester Police’s Major Incident Team, said: “From the outset, the investigation team has worked tirelessly to secure the best possible outcome. I’m pleased the offender has been served a jail sentence however it will not bring Luke home to his family.”

“Had Shiloh Pottinger not been carrying a knife that night, then Luke would not have died. This case shows very clearly the tragic consequences that come from carrying knives.”

Manchester Metropolitan University will award a posthumous diploma for the work Luke completed while at university next month in his honour.