19-year-old Manchester Metropolitan Uni student murder was ‘random attack’

The student is not believed to have known his attacker

Manchester Metropolitan University has confirmed the 19-year-old student who was tragically killed yesterday morning was a student at its university.

According to the Manchester Evening News, the young man was attacked by someone he did not know. It is also understood that the student was on his way home from a house party.

In a statement this morning MMU said: “We can confirm that the Greater Manchester Police has informed us that one of our students died in an incident in Fallowfield in the early of hours of Wednesday morning.

“Our thoughts are with their family and friends at this difficult time. We will be contacting them to offer out help and support.

“This will be a terrible shock to our whole community and we will be training for professionally trained counselling staff to support any students and staff who are affected by the incident.

“Students can contact the Counselling, Mental Health and Wellbeing Service by email at [email protected] or by calling 0161 247 3493.

“We cannot comment further at this time.”

Yesterday, Detective Superintendent Neil Jones of GMP South Manchester Division said: “This was a terrible crime which has robbed a young man of his life and my thoughts are with his family at this devastating time.

“I understand it will cause distress and concern to many in Fallowfield and across Manchester more widely, including our large student community.

“The investigation is in its early stages, but I can assure you that our officers are working round the clock and carrying out extensive enquiries to establish the full circumstances surrounding this incident.

“We are actively pursuing leads and will relentlessly pursue the offender to ensure they are brought to justice.

“There will be more officers out on the streets in Fallowfield and the surrounding area over the coming days conducting high visibility and plain clothes patrols to gather intelligence and reassure the community.

“Greater Manchester Police operates a Student Safe Operation with our partners on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights where our officers patrol the student areas at night, and these efforts will ramp up and be given extra resources.

“I hope this goes someway to reassure the community and if anyone has any information about this incident or has any concerns, I urge you to speak to these officers. They are there to help and support you.”