Swimmers make a splash on the world stage

Luff trio selected for World Championships

loughborough swimming Loughborough University swimming

Once again Looga will be represented on the world stage with swimmers Adam Barrett, Georgia Davies and Fran Halsall vying for honours in the World Championship in Qatar next week.

The three Loughborough-based swimmers join the squad of eleven who will compete this week against the rest of the world.

Both Halsall and Davies have had notable success in the recent months, with Halsall breaking the British 50m butterfly and backstroke record in Tokyo, whilst Davies smashed the Welsh record for 100m backstroke, achieving silver.

Barrett, who is studying Sports Management, specialises in freestyle and butterfly and has a successful season so far with the potential to go far on the international stage, even appearing at the Commonwealth Games this summer.

The swimming championships will commence on Wednesday at the Hamad Aquatic Centre in Doha, Qatar.

Ahead of the event, head coach Bill Furniss said, “The team’s main focus will be to practice the processes we’ve targeted ahead of next year. As we continue to improve as a nation this has to be our motivation rather than the outcome”.

All three swimmers were unavailable for comment, as they are trying to win medals in Doha.