University of Lincoln awarded a prestigious higher education award

The Queen’s Anniversary Prize is considered the greatest honour in further and higher education in the UK

The University of Lincoln has been recognised for its efforts to promote sustainability in the UK’s agriculture and food industry, having been recently awarded the Queens Anniversary Award.

The award itself is notably the highest honour that can be given to universities and colleges across the UK, recognising their excellence in teaching and achievement in benefitting the wider community, and decided by an independent charity, the Royal Anniversary Trust.

The University was among 22 winners in the 15th round of the prize, announced at a reception at St. James Palace on the 16th November, recognising its specialist research centre, The University’s Lincoln Institute for Agri-Food Technology (LIAT) and its work supporting sustainability in food and agriculture production for the future.

The university claims that its team at LIAT “brings together sector-leading expertise in a diverse range of areas, such as artificial intelligence, robotics, engineering, crop science, environmental sustainability, food manufacturing, product development and supply chains.”

Their industry-leading agri-technology aims to reduce food waste, using machine learning techniques, robotics and AI in order to provide farmers with the information they need to contribute to carbon reduction. According to the founding director of the LIAT, Prof Simon Pearson: “The sustainable supply of high quality, nutritious food is a foundation of successful societies and economies all over the world.”

The university’s vice chancellor, Prof Neal Juster, spoke of the award recognising the great work done by the university and said: “The award recognises the outstanding contribution our research and teaching is making to supporting innovation across the UK’s £100bn agri-food industries.”

An official honours ceremony is set to take place in February next year, where the awards will be presented to the winners.

More information regarding the LIAT’s brilliant work in sustainable living can be found on the University of Lincoln’s website. 

Featured image credit: University of Lincoln