Sheaf Street to close with immediate effect as ‘no longer sustainable and cannot recover’

In a statement on Instagram, the team said ‘we have tried everything possible’ to keep the venue open

Leeds events venue Sheaf Street has announced it will be closing its doors with “immediate effect” due to it no longer being financially viable.

In a statement posted to Instagram on Monday 30th October, the team described how the business is “no longer sustainable and cannot recover.”

A popular location with locals and students alike, the club said it had been struggling since May 2023, but had chosen to “double down” rather than shut down: “We chose to go all in…in a last ditch attempt to make things work with a bumper quarter four (October, November and December).

“The team curated a series of events we are truly proud of, but sadly, the world is not on our side right now.

“Most outstanding events will be cancelled, though the business says it is working to try and re-locate what it can. Ticket holders will be contacted by the relevant tickets providers to organise full refunds for cancelled events.”

Sheaf Street has described the impact that the Aire Park Development, which completely surrounds the building, has had on its trade as “devastating.” As a result of the ongoing work, its cafe was forced to close in January of this year, cutting off a “vital stream of regular income with no compensation for the disruption.”

The business also identified the pandemic as having a significant effect on its revenue, with attendance falling, costs rising, and fees, across the board, increasing, since 2020, in addition to the added pressure of trying to recoup lockdown losses.

On Instagram, it emphasised the importance of the hospitality sector to Leeds and called on the city to recognise the assets that it has, so that other venues can be helped in the future.

Sheaf Street was a popular venue with Leeds students

An independent, family-run business since 2017, the team said how they wanted to “thank everyone who has been a part of the journey.”

“We want to give the biggest of messages of love and appreciation to our bar staff, security team, chefs, managers, technicians, designers, photographers, videographers, box office crew, promoters, agents, and pop-up providers.

“Our immense gratitude goes to the vast range of amazing DJs, artists, and performers we’ve hosted, be they international headliners or those venturing out for their first ever mix/performance in public.

“And a huge thank you to all our customers: The after work drinkers, daytime diners, brunch enthusiasts, and late night dancers.

“We’ll fondly remember the good times – so many really, really good times.”

Duke Studios creative workspace, which shares the building will remain unaffected.

A spokesperson for the Aire Park Development said: “We’re very sorry to hear the news that the Sheaf Street venue is closing and that the extremely difficult post Covid trading conditions which have affected many businesses around the country have taken another cultural landmark.

“We wish to reaffirm our commitment to our programme of urban regeneration across Aire Park, working in partnership with Leeds City Council to develop plans which meet with the aspirations for the area and wider South Bank masterplan.

“Our initial plans for the site were submitted in 2016 and since then we have made significant progress towards the wider vision. This includes a new 8-acre public park and a range of high-quality offices and homes, along with a large amount of public amenity and job creation.”

Featured image via Google Maps