Here are some of the best places in London to enjoy nature this autumn

Because sometimes we all need a break from slaying in the city

Life as a student in London can be overwhelming, and sometimes a break from the hustle and bustle is necessary. But it can be difficult to find the right spot for relaxation in a city packed full of high-rise buildings and congested roads.

However, in a study conducted by Nerdwallet in 2022, London was actually crowned the greenest city in Europe with an impressive 3,000 parks and green spaces. Whether you just want an oasis to escape or a haven of nature you’re never that far from a little spot of nature where you can take your lunch or read a book.

But sometimes its hard to find those spots without a little help, so here are some of the best places to enjoy nature this autumn as a student in London:

Battersea Park

Situated on the South bank of the Thames, Battersea Park has wonderful secrets in every nook and cranny. You can explore the sub-tropical garden filled with an array of palm trees, giant leaves and unusual plants or head to the north west corner of the park to find the fascinating hidden herb garden.

There’s more than just nature there as you can visit the Peace Pagoda, a beautiful instance of traditional Japanese Buddhist architecture. The pagoda features four bronze statues which represent the most significant stages of Buddha’s life: birth through to enlightenment, teaching, and death. Perfect for a moment of quiet reflection.

If you’d rather make the most of the last of our lighter evenings then pop into The Pear Tree Café with some friends to enjoy a pint and a sourdough pizza with views over the lake. What more could you want?

Kew Gardens

If you have a few hours to spare on the weekend, you have to visit the Royal Botanic Gardens in Kew, which claims to be the “most biodiverse place on Earth.”

It is the time of year these Gardens come alive, making it nigh on impossible to narrow it down to just a few activities. One highlight that is particular good during Autumn is the Treetop Walkway, a structure 18-metres high which weaves between branches and offers a unique experience amongst nature. You should probably avoid this if you’re scared of heights though!

If you’re feeling more up to staying warm then you can escape the cold by exploring The Temperate House, the world’s largest Victorian glasshouse home to 1,200 exotic plant species from Asia, Australasia, the Americas, and Africa. They even hold a sunset or candlelight yoga class a few times a month led by Kew’s very own yoga instructor.

Richmond Park

Our personal favourite place to escape to is located in the leafy suburbs of Southwest London; Richmond Park is an oasis that is certain to ease some of those feelings of overwhelm. Being the largest of the Royal Parks as well as a National Nature Reserve, a walk here can make you forget that you’re still in London.

If you venture into the heart of the park, you will stumble across Richmond’s “secret garden,” the Isabella Plantation. Little streams and ponds flow through the veins of this Victorian woodland which is coloured by the vibrant yellows, reds and oranges of the acer trees’ autumnal leaves. This plantation has a magical feel to it and is also a must to visit in spring when the azaleas flower.

If you’re a bit of a history buff you can also wander up to King Henry’s Mound, a Bronze Age burial mound, where you can see 12 miles across London to St Paul’s Cathedral. Just five minutes from this spot is the extremely cute Pembroke Lodge Café where you can treat yourself to a traditional cream tea.

Something you do not want to miss, is the iconic sight of the wild deer that wander freely around the park. Whilst these animals are beautiful, be careful not to get too close as autumn is known as deer mating season; the stags and bucks are pumped full of testosterone and thus a little more temperamental at this time of year!

Related articles recommended by this writer: