Applications for The King’s Tab’s editorial team are now OPEN

We’re recruiting for Co-Editor in Chief, News Editor, Features Editor and TikTok Editor

The King’s Tab is now recruiting for our 2023/24 editorial team! From breaking news stories and gossip around campus to fun features and guides, The King’s Tab has it all and is a fantastic experience for anyone interested in journalism.

The positions available are Co-Editor in Chief, News Editor, Features Editor and TikTok Editor.

We encourage everyone to apply regardless of year or degree, the only requirement is that you are a student at King’s College London. You will receive training from experienced editors, and even a professional journalists from the Tab HQ, to get you up and running.

The deadline for applications is 23:59, Thursday 4th May (happy Star Wars day), with successful applicants to be informed the week commencing 8th May.

Although you don’t need to have written for The King’s Tab before to apply, some experience in journalism would certainly help, be that personal blogs or other publications etc. Regardless, now is a great time to get involved and take on something new.

More importantly, we want people who are passionate about writing and journalism, enthusiastic about King’s life, dedicated to breaking news stories and writing fun features, but, above all else, able to work well in a team. If you have questions about any of the roles, please do not hesitate to get in touch via Instagram or Facebook.

C0-Editor in Chief

As Co-Editor in Chief, you’ll oversee the entire team of writers and all of the articles The King’s Tab publishes. In this role, you’ll work with another Editor in Chief to lead the direction of our coverage. You will also be the main link to The Tab HQ team and will be supported by the team at HQ running The King’s Tab team.

You will be responsible for organising your team of editors and writers, hosting regular meetings and motivating and supporting writers to maintain a regular schedule of articles being published.

You’ll be writing your own news and features pieces throughout the year, whilst also working with the section editors to come up with a weekly pitch ideas list to send out to your writer’s team to claim and help the team break the biggest stories on campus; then editing and publishing articles that your team of writers have submitted to you. You will also be in charge of making sure all content is consistent with The King’s Tab’s standard of quality and tone of voice.

The job of Co-Editor in Chief is incredibly rewarding and a great opportunity to lead a talented team; a great experience to have no matter what career you end up in, but being at a publication with thousands of reads per article, it directly connects you to the industry of writing and journalism. The right person for the role should be friendly, approachable, supportive and possess good leadership skills as you’ll be spending a lot of time communicating and motivating your editorial team, alongside your team of writers.

News Editor

The King’s Tab prides itself on breaking the next big news story and as News Editor your biggest responsibility is ensuring that The King’s Tab is reporting on the latest scoops on campus.

This often involves reacting quickly to fast-paced, ever-changing stories as they develop on the day. You’ll need a passion to report the latest scoop before anyone else, an eye for a good story and an ear out for the latest news, controversies and events. It’s key to keep up-to-date on King’s and London news, from protests on campus to major announcements from the university.

You’ll support the Editor in Chief in writing and editing articles weekly, coming up with pitches and article commissions and supporting writers. The roles of section editors are not black and white so you may also be expected to regularly write and edit feature articles, not just news.

You’ll be working on stories like these:

Features Editor

This role is for anyone who wants to take charge on The King’s Tab’s great feature pieces. You’ll be responsible for writing and editing the iconic feature pieces for the team that make The King’s Tab as great as it is.

You’ll be able to cover every aspect of student life, from nightlife to fashion and food. You will be working on pieces that cover current opinions, fun guides and witty commentary on campus life, you will also oversee the quizzes, opinion pieces, guides and other fun stories that we write. Rating outfits on campus, or arguing which London club is better – as Features Editor you’ll have a keen interest in everything relevant and relatable to King’s students.

You will also support the Editor in Chief in editing and writing articles each week, coming up with pitches and article commissions and supporting writers. The roles of section editors are not black and white and you may also be expected to regularly write and edit news articles, not just features.

You’ll be working on stories just like these:

TikTok Editor

We’re looking to finally launch The King’s Tab TikTok and want someone to grow the page and gain followers. We need someone creative, outgoing and happy to be on camera as you will be expected to regularly create vox pops interviewing students on campus or nights out. You’ll need to think of creative ways to incorporate the latest TikTok trends into relatable KCL content, as well as an eye for video-editing on the app.

Think you’ve got what it takes?

If you’re interested in any of our roles and would like to apply, fill out your application here or on the Google form below. The application deadline is 23:59 on Thursday 4th May.