Glasgow’s cycling network to be expanded in new plans from the council

Glasgow City Council have revealed plans to improve the city’s cycling system to get more people on bikes

Glasgow City Council are set to extend cycling networks across the city after revealing plans for major works which are expected to begin in 2025.

According to reports from The Glasgow Times, the plans to create a joined up network have been largely welcomed by cyclists, environmental campaigners and others who argue better infrastructure is needed to make cycling a safer activity and to encourage people to use an alternative mode of transport to their cars.

Currently, work has been ongoing between Byres Road and Dumbarton Road. This aims to “create an active travel route” within the area, especially towards University Avenue. These particular works are scheduled to finish by August 2024. The second phase, announced today, is set to greater connect Glasgow as a whole from the East side of the city to the West.

Despite these plans for improvement, motorists and local businesses are among those who are not in favour due to the expected long traffic queues and potential disruption during the works.

Segregated cycle lanes have already been installed across Glasgow. These have offered cyclists a safer method of travel, reducing the chances of car collision by increasing the space between themselves and the faster travelling vehicle.

The plans include various extensions. Connections between Garscube Road to Sauchiehall Street, via a new route along a redesigned St Georges Road have been proposed. The council appear to be fully committed to the project, claiming it has been “fully consulted on with local residents and businesses.”

As well as the works currently ongoing, and the proposed works to begin in 2025, there have been even further proposals made with regards to the expansion. Other projects include redesign work on junctions around Kelvingrove at Radnor Street and Haugh Road.