University of Glasgow works with University of Edinburgh to combat climate change

The two universities have joined forces on an initiative to help the country tackle climate change

A new initiative will see two of Scotland’s leading universities, University of Glasgow and University of Edinburgh, join forces in a historic collaboration to tackle the critical challenge of climate change.

Founded by both universities, the initiative has been named the “Scotland Beyond Net Zero”, and will bring together experts from Glasgow and Edinburgh Universities.

The collaboration aims to help the country meet – and go beyond – its ambition of achieving net zero by 2045, with the goal being to combine the expertise across the two universities to provide governments with data and policy recommendations.

The project is launching in the Capital at a Dynamic Earth Event, with the net zero secretary Mairi McAllan among the guests attending.

The University of Glasgow principal and vice-chancellor, Professor Sir Anton Muscatelli, said: “The climate emergency demands that all of us – academia, business, government and third sector organisations – step up our efforts to work more closely together.”

First Minister of Scotland, Humza Yousaf, said universities have a “vital” role to play in the transition to net zero.

The First Minister said: “I commend the leadership shown by the universities of Edinburgh and Glasgow in launching this initiative and I welcome the collaborative approach taken by the universities and partners across the country who will shape the development of Scotland Beyond Net Zero in the months ahead.”

The principal of Edinburgh University, Professor Sir Peter Mathieson, said: “Climate change is arguably the greatest global challenge of our time. We need coordinated action to harness our combined strengths. To support Scotland’s transition to net zero, it is vital that we go further and faster together.”

Related stories recommended by this author:

Glasgow University student ‘petrified’ the day before her death, mother tells FAI

Strathclyde student graduates after completing Breaking Barriers Programme

Eight ways for you to actually stay on top of your studies from a Glasgow master’s student