Scotrail team up with Glasgow student support workers to provide training and experience

Students at GCU have been given invaluable skills from the transport company

Upcoming support workers at Glasgow’s Caledonian University have been given some hands-on work experience with Scotrail.

Students are completing the university’s graduate diploma in low vision rehabilitation.

The training has allowed future rehabilitation specialists to practice teaching visually impaired people a safe way to board and disembark the train, Glasgow Times reports.

Patrick Nyamurundira, access and inclusion manager at Scotrail, spoke of the benefits of the training, explaining how sessions allow greater independence for those with visual impairments.

He said: ”ScotRail is committed to making the railway accessible for all, and we will do everything we can to ensure as many people as possible can access our services. Facilitating training sessions like this play a key role in helping to build confidence, and allowing visually impaired people to travel independently and safely on Scotland’s Railway.”

The students were provided with useful knowledge and experience in teaching a client the route to the railway station by using a long cane. They were also made aware of the skills to familiarise the person with the main features of the station and train itself.

The students took part in a practical training session in north-west Glasgow, at Milngavie train station.

Simon Labbett, guest lecturer at Glasgow Caledonian University, spoke of the initiative being “essential” in order for partially sighted people to use public transport with confidence.

He commented: “Giving blind and partially sighted people the confidence to use public transport is absolutely essential. Thanks to ScotRail’s generous initiative, Scotland’s next generation of vision rehab specialists will feel more confident in promoting access to train travel with their clients.”