Firefighters give out an award in memory of Strathclyde University student

The Campbell Hunter Award was presented to St Mungo’s High School in Falkirk

A Scottish student who died in 2020 has had an award named after him following his commendable contributions to charity.

Campbell Hunter died on Strathclyde University campus after he fell from a 20ft-high wall in the early hours of the morning, following a night out with his friends.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) since created the Campbell Hunter Award in his memory, with the first award being presented in his honour, Daily Record reports.

18-year-old Campbell was a first year student at the University of Strathclyde who was studying English literature, psychology and journalism.

He died following an incident which occurred after a night out with his friends, where he fell from a 20-foot high building on campus grounds. He was rushed to the Glasgow Royal Infirmary for his injuries and later passed away in the early hours of the morning.

The former pupil of Peebles High School had previously helped to promote the school’s partnership with a stem cell donor charity, Anthony Nolan and had made considerable contributions to the Antony Nolan organisation before his death.

Now, the SFRS have presented their first Campbell Hunter Award – honoured in his memory.

At a ceremony at the SFRS HQ near Glasgow, Campbell’s proud mum, Gayle Gallagher, presented the inaugural award to St Mungo’s High School in Falkirk.

Gayle said his death had badly hit her family, particularly his younger brothers Ker, four, Jamie, six, and eight-year-old Fearghas. Gayle is now studying to become a bereavement counsellor, and she said: ”I am just so very proud of him. The outpouring of love and support we got from people was incredible. I did not realise that he had touched so many lives.”

The recipients of the award were incredibly grateful, and some teachers commented on the significance of the honour. Teacher Heather Anderson said: ”To receive this award is very humbling and we will continue to try our best to honour Campbell’s memory.”

Peebles High School teacher Gill Geddes added: “Campbell will always be fondly remembered. His commitment for this cause was clear from the outset.”

Holly Gooch, of Anthony Nolan, said: “Our partnership with the Scottish Fire Rescue Service is crucial in getting more young people signed up to the stem cell register.”