Here are all the events happening in Exeter for Black History Month

To honor and commemorate Black History Month this October.

In the UK, October marks Black History Month and this year the Exeter Student Guild’s theme is “Empowering Black Students to exist loudly all year round”.

The University of Exeter is hosting a variety of events dedicated to celebrating Black Culture and History, including film screenings, talks, and engaging networking events. Here is a rundown of some of the events that you can participate in.

1. Meet Your Community

If you identify as a Black student, the Guild invites you to this exciting networking event. It is a great opportunity to make friends within the community and build meaningful connections with others. Light refreshments will be available, and there will be various opportunities to help everyone get to know each other better. The aim of this event is to empower Black students to express themselves boldly and proudly, so if you feel like this resonates with you, come along and let your voice be heard!

When? Tuesday 10th October at 5pm

Where? Devonshire House – The GreenHouse

Tickets can be found here. 

2. Film screening: Over the Bridge

In celebration of Black History Month, The Picturehouse is featuring Over the Bridge (12A). Over the Bridge is a movie that delves into the life of Folarin (Ozzy Agu), an investment banker based in Lagos. The film explores his struggles with alcoholism and panic attacks, corporate scandals and corruption, as well as his complex relationship with his wife, Jumoke (Segilola Ogidan). Don’t miss the opportunity to immerse yourself in this thought-provoking narrative!

When? Wednesday 18th October at 8pm

Where? The Exeter Picturehouse, 51 Bartholomew Street West

Tickets available here.

3. Keynote Speaker: Malcom Richards

Head down to Devonshire House for a captivating evening where you’ll have the unique opportunity to listen to Malcom Richards, co-founder of local bookshop Bookbag (housed in Mccoys Arcade on Exeter’s beloved Fore Street) and distinguished academic at UWE.

When? Thursday 19th October at 4:30pm

Where? The Theatre – Devonshire House

Tickets can be found here.

4. Discussion: What can I do to change the narrative?

Open to both Black Students and Allies, this event aims to change the attitude that it is permissible for Black people to be disadvantaged. Therefore, this roundtable discussion covering the topic ‘What can I do to change the narrative?’, encourages you to get involved, with your own ideas or views (or just with an eagerness to learn!) and discuss what can be done, as a community, to make positive changes.

When? Wednesday 25th October at 5pm

Where? Forum Exploration Lab 2

Tickets are available here.

5. In Conversation With: Our 100 Black Women Professors Now Cohort

Dr Safi Darden, Colleen Douglas-Smith, Melody Jombe and Dr Winifred Nyinoh will be discussing their experiences on the 100 Black Women Professors Now programme, alongside a wider conversation about the representation and inclusion of  Black female academics in higher education. There will also be a chance to ask questions and network in small groups, making this a great opportunity to learn and meet others!

When? Wednesday 11th October at 1pm

Where? The Creative Quadrant, Streatham Campus

Tickets are available here.

6. Robert Wedderburn and Transatlantic Solidarity Talk

The University is hosting a discussion on Robert Wedderburn, a historical figure known for his encouragement of enslaved individuals and exploited labourers to unite and challenge their oppressors through force. Wedderburn’s advocacy for transatlantic solidarity made him a significant figure in early 19th-century British working-class politics.

Exeter lecturer Ryan Hanley will delve into the early stages of Wedderburn’s political journey, leading up to the publication of his most ground-breaking written piece, The Axe Laid to the Root.

When? Monday 9th October at 6pm

Where? Creative Quadrant, Streatham Campus

Tickets are available here.

7. Creative Leadership Book Club Launch

The Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion Team, in collaboration with the Exeter Education Incubator and Arts and Culture, have united to provide assistance to students and staff who are passionate about engaging in anti-racism and broader EDI efforts within the university.

During this session, they will outline their comprehensive plan for delving into this book in the upcoming months and acquaint you with some key concepts. All participants will also be provided with a free book!

When? Tuesday 24th October at 12:30

Where? Streatham (SR10 The America Room/Forum), St Luke’s (07, Baring Court)

Tickets available here. 

8. Black History Month X Give it a Go

Exeter Guild is also presenting a series of  ‘Give it a Go events’ with a special Black History Month twist. Throughout the month, they’re offering the chance to engage in a variety of activities, including decorating tote bags, painting plant pots and calligraphy writing. These events provide a fun opportunity for you to take a break from the demands of university life and de-stress whilst simultaneously creating meaningful keepsakes and expressing your creativity through art. Whether you’re looking for a relaxing escape from academic stress or an outlet for your artistic inclinations, these events have something for everyone.

To learn more about these exciting events and stay updated on the schedule, please visit the Guild website.

9. Society Events

In addition to the Guild’s events, Exeter societies are celebrating Black History Month with a variety of events and activities. Be sure to check them out!

Related articles recommended by this writer:

Nearly half of Exeter’s graduating students have no confirmed outcome of their degree

‘Everyone deserves to live as their true self’: Everything that happened at Exeter’s vigil for Brianna Ghe

Exeter students raise £45k for charity from items donated when moving out of halls