Plays to watch this Michaelmas: A highlights reel

Finding yourself bored amidst deadlines? Look no further for entertainment as I share my theatrical picks of the coming month!

If Michaelmas term is all getting too much for you or if you’re a clueless fresher wondering what to watch, do consider my brief theatrical guide of upcoming productions. And if this still doesn’t tickle your fancy, check out Durham Student Theatre’s What’s On page.

1. HBT’s Hedda Gabler

What:

If you remember this Ibsen classic from A-level drama like I do, or if you support women’s rights and wrongs – this is the play for you. Hedda is an aristocratic general’s daughter who, trapped in a loveless marriage, wreaks havoc in other people’s lives to a fatal extent. Hild Bede prove themselves time and time again as a powerhouse of drama, so seeing their Caedmon Hall transform into a 19th century Norwegian house and watching exclusively fresh(er) talent on stage will be unmissable.

When:

Thursday 16th November 2023, 7.30pm

Friday 17th November 2023, 7.30pm

Saturday 18th November 2023, 7.30pm

Where:

Caedmon Hall in Hild Bede

Buy tickets here.

2. DULOG’s Spring Awakening

What:

Spring Awakening revamps Wedekin’s controversial 19th century play about adolescent sexuality and rebellion in a deeply conservative society, following the protagonists Wendla and Melchior through their exploration of these topics. Wendla wonders about her body yet her mother denies her knowledge on sex and puberty, to the young girl’s detriment. Having heard snippets of DULOG’s rehearsals on their socials, I can confirm that the combination of folky violins, rock chords and a strong vocal ensemble is goosebump-inducing. I have no doubt the drama will be equally moving!

When:

Wednesday 22nd November 202, 7.30pm

Friday 24th November 2023, 7.30pm

Saturday 25th November 2023, 2.30pm

Saturday 25th November 2023, 7.30pm

Where:

Sir Thomas Allen Assembly Rooms Theatre

Buy tickets here.

3. FHTC’s Heaven and Hell

What:

Enjoy FHTC’s intercollegiate showcase on the theme of Heaven and Hell, a showcase which boasts a wide range of extracts– La La Land, The Crucible, The Book of Mormon, Hamlet and much more (even a devised piece). This two act show promises to be truly singular. And it’s all for a good cause, with all proceeds going to the Graham Martin Bursary Appeal to support struggling actors with their careers in the North-East.

When:

Sunday 26th November, 7.00pm

Where:

Sir Thomas Allen Assembly Rooms Theatre

Buy tickets here.

4. DUCT’s The Rivals

What:

Calling all Bridgerton fans and/or Pride and Prejudice re-watchers for DUCT’s hilarious 18th century Comedy of Manners The Rivals. The play revolves around the dramatic Lydia Languish and Jack (the rake) Absolute, who notes her gothic/romance inspired desire for clandestine love and creates a poor soldier persona Beverley with which to woo her. The guise results in many funny misunderstandings all the while Jack as Beverley must bat off his love rivals to win over Lydia. Come along for frivolous romance, farce and frocks!

When:

Thursday 30th November 2023, 7.30pm

Friday 1st December 2023, 7.30pm

Saturday 2nd December 2023, 2.30pm

Saturday 2nd December 2023, 7.30pm

Where:

Sir Thomas Allen Assembly Rooms Theatre

Buy tickets here.

5. TDCD’s Into the Woods

What:

As one of the hundreds of audition-goers for this production, I can only imagine the impeccable standard that TDCD’s Into the Woods multi-rolling cast will inevitably meet (and probably surpass)! Stephen Sondheim’s musical follows the wishes of a Baker and his wife who want a child, Cinderella who wants to attend the festival, and Jack who wants his cow to produce milk. The couple learn of a Witch’s curse that’s preventing them having a child, and set off on a quest to break it which grants everyone their happily-ever-after – or so they thought…

When:

Wednesday 6th December 2023, 7.30pm

Thursday 7th December 2023, 7.30pm

Friday 8th December 2023, 7.30pm

Saturday 9th December 2023, 2.30pm

Saturday 9th December 2023, 7.30pm

Where:

Sir Thomas Allen Assembly Rooms Theatre

Buy tickets here.

Related stories recommended by this author:

• Forget the alphabet, here’s an easy A-Z that every Durham student should know
  • The ultimate freshers guide to all the neighbourhoods in Durham
  • Having a breakdown? Here are six ways to survive your mid-uni crisis at Durham