Everything you missed from Cardiff Uni’s Act One Shrek the Panto

Including an impressive £1,000 fundraised for charities Make a Smile and UCAN Productions

Panto is a standing Act One tradition and this years alternative Shrek storyline of a Panto certainly did not disappoint. Act One is Cardiff Univeristy’s drama society who definitely know how to deliver an entertaining show. The show is produced specifically for Cardiff students, by Cardiff students.

Held in the basement of Pulse, the panto was a massive hit with the audience.

Director and writer of the production, Ben Lewis, is a second year human georgraphy student at Cardiff University. Ben told The Cardiff Tab: “The Act One pantomime is always a Cardiff University tradition. To put on a show it takes up a lot of time. From writing a show to auditioning and rehearsing.

“Unlike other shows, panto only has two months from the start to finish, so everything has to be done at a quicker speed compared to other shows. When writing and directing you often wake up at ridiculous times, thinking about changing how something is written or remembering to text sound about a transition song.

“The lyrics however are the hardest to change as copyright means you can’t keep them. This means songs can be changed to make them funnier but also more relevant to the script. Overall it’s long days and stressful hours before shows, however it’s worth it at the end seeing, well for me, one silly idea grow into a show which was sold out and raised over £1,000 for two amazing charities.”

The Panto raised money for Make a Smile charity, that is compromised mostly of uni students, and entirely of volunteers. They work with local charities and organisations to provide opportunities for children who have been affected by hardship to meet the characters they look up to.

The other charity Act One fundraised for, was UCAN Productions. A performance and creative arts charity for the blind and partially sighted children, young people and adults.

The talented cast and crew added to the show’s hilarious and unpredictable nature.

Be sure to check out their next performances on the SU website.

Or if you fancy starring in their next performance, memberships are available on their website. Break a leg as they say!