Five places in and around Cardiff where you can reconnect with nature

Reaching those 10,000 steps a day doesn’t get easier than this

With the stress of lectures and assignments piling up, it is very important we take a moment to go back to nature to relax and find a balance.

Cardiff has some amazing spots where you can reconnect with nature and for a very brief moment forget about all the stress that accompanies being a student.

From hiking maestros to people who like to just sit on the grass to read a book, we’ve got you covered.

Roath Park

From ducks to pigeons to swans, this beautiful park is full of things to explore.

The beautiful lake is surrounded by a path that is perfect for an afternoon stroll and benches where you can dive into your book or simply relax under the shade of the trees. The lighthouse, although small but mighty, stands at the top of the lake right next to a cute little café that serves seasonal drinks, lunch menus and delicious baked goods with stunning views of the lake and the swans.

You’d think that all there is to it but there are also wonderful gardens to explore especially in the summer with a different types of flowers and places to get a tasty little ice cream to treat yourself.

Right near the entrance there is a conservatory where you can experience a tropical wonderland full of exotic plants, turtles and koi fish. And good news! You can feed the fish too.

Bute Park

This is an ideal place to find your connection to nature.

Go for a relaxing stroll down this 130 acres of landscaped gardens that used to be a part of the Cardiff Castle. Apart from a pleasant walk, there is a lot more to this tourist attraction. The Black Friars is an unusual layout of the medieval friary remains – a perfect spot for the history folks as well as Bute Park Arboretum which is a mix of interesting and ornamental trees, no better way to appreciate the beauty of nature.

Next time you’re looking for a place for your morning run, choose this park for its beautiful and renowned herbaceous border alongside River Taff.

Pen y Fan

This is the highest peak in South Wales, sitting 886 metres above sea level. If you want to challenge your fitness and boast about reaching the peak, this is an ideal spot for you. Also a perfect introduction to the world of hiking as it only takes around 40 minutes to complete. Enjoy the breathtaking views of the Brecon Beacons from the clouds and see if you can spot the sheep in the distance but don’t get too close to them.

Abergavenny

Do you love walking? If you answered “yes” then you will absolutely love this place.

Abergavenny is the perfect place if you like an easy stroll or perhaps a more challenging walk to the 99-mile Beacons Way. The views are spectacular to keep you occupied amidst the tough hikes of the Blorenge Walk to the Sugar Loaf Walk.

Good news for the students, Cardiff University Hiking Club does weekly hikes if you’re looking to get into this slightly more challenging way of re-connecting with nature.

Wye Valley

Wye Valley has been named an area of outstanding natural beauty for a reason. It also has the fourth longest river in the UK and straddles the border between Wales and England.

There you can explore the varied landscapes of Wye Valley, and for all the geology nerds the rock and structural formations will definitely be of interest.

Related stories recommended by this author:

These are the best places to wear Crocs around Cardiff Uni Campus

An official guide on where to find the best cheesy chips in Cardiff

Lounge Boob is visiting Cardiff Met this week an they’re giving away free thongs