Tributes pour in for Aberystwyth Uni student who died suddenly in December

Rukayat Bukola Akinfolarin was described as an ‘inspritation for all’

Tributes have been paid to an Aberystwyth University student who died suddenly in December following a hospitalisation for a migraine.

Rukayat Bukola Akinfolarin, a masters student from Nigeria passed away after visiting the hospital for a persistent headache that she thought to be a migraine. However, days before Christmas she passed away at Aberystwyth University Hospital from unknown causes. She had spent 18 days there before her death.

According to a GoFundMe set up to cover funeral costs, a post-mortem has been requested as to figure out the cause of Bukola’s death. She is survived by her young son and her who said via the fundraising page that she “was regarded as the pillar and rallying point for her family. She was also loved by her friends and students at the university.”

The GoFundMe campaign has now received over £2,700 in funds for Bukola’s funeral.

Professor Tim Woods, from Aberyswtyth University’s School of Management where Bukola was a student said in an email to students: “It is with great sadness that we share with you the very sad news that Rukayat Bukola Akinfolarin has passed away.

“Bukola was a dedicated student. Like her Nigerian colleagues she travelled, with her family, many miles from home to pursue her education. She worked hard and was determined to do well.

“Bukola navigated her way around an unfamiliar location and teaching system and, in doing so, she achieved things that most of us would not have the confidence to attempt. Her determination lives on as inspiration for us all.We extend our deepest sympathies to Bukola’s family and those closest to her at this most difficult time.”

Feature Image Credit: GoFundMe