Welsh government allocates £2.3 million to student mental health services

It comes as the amount of university students declaring mental health problems triples

The Welsh government has allocated £2.3 million to fund student mental health and well-being services across universities in Wales.

The funding comes as students say they have been affected mentally by the cost of living crisis, telling the BBC uncertainty surrounding rising costs and the ability to afford basic necessities is leading many to feel overwhelmed and stressed.

The Senedd Children, Young People and Education Committee also explained that the number of students disclosing a mental health condition has tripled in recent years and university staff told the committee that they had witnessed deaths and self-harm.

The Welsh government has expressed that the universities should work with student unions to be able to decide how to best spend this money so “the funding makes the best possible impact on the lives of students”.

Jeremy Miles, the Minister for Education and the Welsh Language said: “The move from college or school to university can be a tough time for your mental health and well-being, as well as the ongoing cost-of-living crisis and the lasting effects of the pandemic. I’m pleased we’re able to provide more support this financial year so students can get financial help and maintain their well-being.”

Orla Tarn, the President of NUS Wales added: “This investment recognises the significant impact the cost-of-living crisis is having on students’ mental health. The focus on boosting financial support services and making additional hardship funding available is welcome and necessary given the significant strain on university students’ pockets right now. Continued partnership working with students’ unions, who are delivering vital support for their students during this crisis, will help ensure the impact of this funding is maximised”.

Feature Image Credit: Youtube