Bristol to get new edition of Monopoly and you can help pick the landmarks

23 years after the first edition, Bristol’s landmarks will appear on the famous board once again

Monopoly fanatics will soon be able to purchase Bristol properties and landmarks on a special edition of the famous board game after it has been revealed that the city will get a new version of it later this year.

Bristol first secured a version of Monopoly in 2000, however, this was discontinued a few years ago leaving it as one of the few major UK cities without a version.

After 23 years the Bristol version will now get a much-needed refresh as it is released to celebrate the 650th anniversary of Bristol being granted independent county status.

In the previous version of the game, the most expensive squares were Anchor Road and Bristol Old Vic while Temple Street and St Andrew’s Road were the cheapest, but this time round everything could change as residents will get to decide what landmarks fill the board.

The property sets will be themed in genres which will include heritage, tourism, hotels, shopping, business, and charity.

Most importantly, in what would be a first-ever for a Monopoly board, there could potentially be a street art set to celebrate Bristol’s famous art culture.

Landmarks expected to be heavily nominated to feature in the game include Clifton Suspension Bridge, the University of Bristol, as well as both football clubs.

The game, which is being created by the games company Winning Moves UK, is expected to be available in November this year, making it the perfect Christmas gift for any admirer of the city.

Marvin Rees, the Mayor of Bristol, said: “This year Bristol marks the 650th anniversary of being granted county status by the then monarch, King Edward III. We can’t wait for this new edition of the world’s most famous board game to be released, helping celebrate our great city.”

If you want to nominate landmarks, email [email protected] before 23.59 pm on Wednesday, May 24th.

Featured image via @mrthetrain on Unsplash and The Mayor of Bristol’s office