Bristol Uni gym undergoes £180,000 refurb in time for New Year and new semester

Just in time for all those New Year’s resolutions. We give it a month

The University of Bristol’s main gym has had almost all its equipment replaced in a £180,000 facelift.

Users of the Indoor Sports Centre can expect new cardio machines, weights machines and free weights.

The refurbishment includes a 30 per cent increase in weight plates and bars, driven by increasing interest in free weight use, particularly among women, the university claims.

Credit: University of Bristol

Most changes are like-for-like swaps, but new additions include an arm curl machine and a calf press machine.

The new machines are energy efficient models which will save a minimum of 10Kw of electricity – or 2.33kg in CO2 emissions – per day. This will help the university meet its ambitious carbon neutrality targets by 2030.

Credit: University of Bristol

James Rowntree, Group Health and Fitness Manager at the university, said: “We want gym-goers to have access to first rate, modern equipment. The old equipment had been well used so we wanted to make the change in time for the New Year and new semester.”

Credit: University of Bristol

Frequently used gym equipment has a useful life of around five years. The old equipment will be reconditioned by a specialist company and sent to gyms that cannot afford brand new kit.

In 2018, the Indoor Sports Centre underwent a £4.9m modernisation project that brought in state-of-the art facilities and increased capacity by 30 per cent.

The centre boasts two gyms; studios for classes; a sports hall; indoor running track and sports medicine clinic. Students and staff are given discounted membership and it is also open to the public.