TikTok Chinese takeaway

US TikTokers are causing drama with British creators over their Chinese takeaway content

‘I know it’s not intended to be racist, but it feels like it is’

Something has shifted on the TikTok For You Page. For Americans, their algorithm has seemingly shifted to give them constant videos from the likes of Lauren Griffiths, Cory’s World and Charly Anne who regularly update their UK audience with their Chinese hauls. When I say Chinese hauls, I mean Chinese takeaway hauls – a lazy British colloquialism we literally all do for all cuisines that’s causing drama across the pond. Now the US FYPs are filled with British Chinese food consumption, in return, if your FYP is anything like mine you’ll be swiping through a sea of bewildered Americans critiquing how we refer to what we dine on and the Chinese food we consume in general. It’s all a bit exhausting really – here’s the TikTok Chinese takeaway drama explained.

‘I know it’s not intended to be racist’

One prominent content creator who brought this topic up is Soogia – an American TikToker with 1.7 million followers on the platform. In her video, she directly features videos from Cory, Charly Anne and Lauren Griffiths – British TikTokers known for their WIEIAD content or their takeaway hauls. Soogia says “I don’t know what happened but is your FYP just almost exclusively British people eating Chinese food too? This is no hate to them whatsoever, I know it’s not intended to be racist but it just feels like it is a little bit. I find it so strange that they all call it a Chinese? Here in the United States we call it ‘Chinese food’ like we do all other foods, like I’m gonna go for Greek food or Mexican food or Italian food. Do British people also say ‘I’m going out for a Greek’ or is it exclusively just when they talk about Chinese food?

“I find that so odd. Another interesting thing is that all their plates are almost exactly the same and filled with things I don’t recognise as Chinese food. They all have something called ‘chicken balls’ and they all order french fries or chips with their food. I’ve never seen french fries offered at an American Chinese restaurant ever.

“The thing I find the most different is ‘curry sauce’, pools of it all over the Chinese food. I’m not judging at all. I’ve just never seen it before? I’m seeing the same plates over and over again. If they love it fine, but there’s such a beautiful world of Chinese food beyond what they have on their plates.”

A couple born and raised British and born and raised Chinese responded explaining

A couple on an account called ‘Whalesandfairytales’ explained it from the perspective of her being born and raised British and he being born and raised Chinese. “We think we have enough qualifications to speak about Chinese food in England. No hate to the creator, as an outsider looking in her questions are valid but we can answer them.”

The girl then proceeds to say “I’m gonna have a Chinese, I’m gonna have an Indian – thoughts”. The lad she’s with then says “They’re not racist, they’re just English people being lazy.”

The girl then goes on to explain “Obviously it’s short for I’m having Chinese for dinner. We just shorten it. To answer the question would we do it with Greek, Mexican or Italian – yes. 100 per cent. It’s just what we say.”

They also explain in more detail about the nature of Chinese takeaways in this country and how they do a lot of deep fried food that caters for all kinds of tastes from people who want different things.

Another raised the point of an old little bop…

Nisa, TikTok creator @nisipisa, is an American offering a slightly more wised up approach to this whole TikTok Chinese takeaway drama. She says “I’m currently being inundated with videos about British Chinese food takeout and what’s really confusing me is how many Americans are reacting to it like ‘Oh my god, they call it GETTING a CHINESE?’ Yeah? Were you guys not where I was in 2009, because I was here..”

She then proceeds to play the chorus of Chinese by Lily Allen – a mic drop moment if ever there was one.

Have British creators responded?

Lauren Griffiths – one of the most prominent Chinese haulers on my TikTok FYP – and one shown in Soogia’s video about all this, has responded to it with a video captioned ‘Hope this clears things up’.

In the TikTok, Lauren says “Over the last two days, my account has been flooded with Americans confused as to why we cause a Chinese takeaway ‘a Chinese’ saying it sounds like we’re talking about a person. I want to clear it up because we are a lazy nation – it’s literally just us removing the word takeaway off the end. We’d do it for all cuisines. It’s genuinely not meant offensively in any way, shape or form. I’m really sorry if it comes across that way.

“I saw a lot of comments being like ‘you wouldn’t say a British’ but we say a full English instead of a full English breakfast. I just wanted to do the video because over the past 24 hours it’s gone to a different level, my page is being overwhelmed with horrible comments, my videos have been used and mimicked. My page is a really positive place and it’s literally all changed in the last 24 hours.

“I understand being curious, but when it gets personal I’m not meaning to be offensive and that’s where it needs to stop. You can easily click not interested or block me and then you won’t be seeing my videos.”

Cory’s World has also responded echoing the same sentiment, shown below.

The TikTok Chinese takeaway drama has dominated the FYP – but it’s all much ado about nothing. Of course there are variations of how these cuisines are served on different sides of the planet? I appreciate the food in the videos isn’t authentically Chinese – but I don’t think anyone is under any preconceptions that it ever was? It’s from a scruffy little chippy and has no nutritional value!

@harrisonjbrock